Saturday 30 September 2006

The Odd Couple


Sometimes I meet a couple and I wonder why they're a couple. I know I ranted about attraction a couple of days ago, but that can only take you so far. At some point you have to find yourself happy and fulfilled and joyful in your relationship and it makes me sad when I see people who aren't.

I saw quite a few couples at a party I went to a couple of weeks ago. Only two of them made me smile. The others made me want to shake them and tell them to move on already.

There was the quiet girl whose husband spoke for her or louder than her even if you asked her the question. He was completely overpowering and she looked like she had lost her personality. She didn't seem comfortable and there was no sparkle in her eyes. The man you marry is supposed to make your eyes sparkle.

There was the pretty girl with the boyfriend who thought he was gorgeous. He snapped his gum a lot and told us all about his PhD work while she sat and listened, looking like she'd heard it all before. Ladies, if he's working that hard to sell himself, he's probably not all that confident.

And then there was the nice, good looking guy whose girlfriend shook her head or rolled her eyes at everything he said. Guys, I understand that she's good looking and dresses up real nice like? But she doesn't respect you and that's really not cool.

Sometimes there are couples that, upon first glance, appear to be mismatched, but as you watch them it all seems to work. They get each other's sense of humour or each other's sense of life. They take care of each other and seem to be a team. They're happy and fun to be around. You can see them together for ever.

The oddly matched couple that's happy? That's the one you want to be. Your relationship should add to your life, lift your spirit and make you happy.

3 comments:

Victoria said...

absolutely.

I think a lot of really great guys have been blinded by the love of a notso nice gal. It's frustrating for me to watch that because I always end up thinking "why am I single when I'm way nicer than she is? Why doesn't dude date a nice girl.. like.. me?"

; )

danish said...

On that note--kind of, anyway--it's sad to witness those no respect relationships first hand.

I'm staying with my Aunt for a little while. Her son, who is 20, got married in April to a girl of the same age. At first, I was kinda skeptical as they're kinda young for that (in my opinion, anyway). But what really makes me sad is that my cousin treats his wife with no respect whatsoever. She toils for him constantly and is so sweet to him, only to be ignored. She only gets attention from him when he wants her to do something for him (like laundry). And the worst part is that she's too young to see how she is being treated. *sigh*

I just think it's kinda sad, you know?

Victoria said...

That does sound sad. I hope she figures ... something out. My life would be very different if I had married (shudder) my first serious boyfriend (double shudder) It took me a year of living with him and a good friend talking to me before I realized this wasn't love it was babysitting or maidwork or something not great and certainly not loving.

Men (boys?) like that should be... I don't know. But they certainly shouldn't be with nice girls. We should pair them up with the girls who are mean to nice boys and hopefully they'll all learn their lessons.

It is kinda sad. Poor gal.

Let's hope karma serves up some justice. : )