Tuesday 5 September 2006

Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay Please


Oh my goodness I love the ferries. Why do I love the ferries? Well, thank you for asking!

I love the ferries because they're nothing but a glorious people watching journey of joy. So many people. Of all types! Cute. Young. Not. People traveling. Families. Couples. Odd people. Interesting people. People! And I get to stare at them all.

Plus? Where I sit tends to be sunny for the first half hour or so of the trip so I'm allowed to wear my sunglasses. That means I can stare and be less likely to get caught! Hooray!

Except, I wouldn't mind the hunky French guy I saw this trip catching me. Nudge, nudge, wink wink.

But, it's also stunningly beautiful on the ferries. Those of us who live around here are spoiled by this Pacific Northwest beauty. The passage through this strait is especially pretty. Breathtaking, if you take the time to look. And breathe. It's easy for those of us who take the ferry regularly to forget, or to be blind to just how beautiful it all is. Right there. Just outside the window.

I took a few evening shots out the window on this trip. You can see them tagged as "Ferry Series" in my flickr photostream. This link should take you to the start of them. Or you could just get your butt on a ferry yourself. Aim for sunset time if you can. 'S pretty. And watch the people. 'S fun.


By the way... (BING BING) This is an important safety announcement...*



*inside joke for BC Ferry travellers ; )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

whenever possible, i try to ride the ferry alone. well, that plan hasn't worked out yet, but grab a wednesday 9am departure in february and you can get close, and then almost for certain you'll be the only one running out to hear the whistle in active pass.
in summer when it's busy and you go through the pass, i always count the flashes from the touristy shutterbugs on the other vessel. i've seen the flashes that might make a difference in such an encounter, and am happy that my eyesight remains; no one on the other boat has ever had one, if they did, they'd already know no such things are necessary.

Michael Colvin said...

Wow! I really want to take that trip.

Victoria said...

it really is a lovely trip. and you can take your camera and point your flash at jim ; )