Wednesday 18 October 2006

Lies

There's a song by a group called Stabilo by the name of "Flawed Design"

I really like the song, but when I took a minute to look at the lyrics (something I don't always do with every song) I realized the words made me really uncomfortable. If you don't know the song, I've transcribed some of the song's lyrics here.

When I was a young boy
I was honest and I had more self-control
If I was tempted I would run

Then, when I got older
I began to lie to get exactly what I wanted
When I wanted it
And I wanted it

'Cuz I lie
Not because I want to
But I seem to need to
All the time.
Yeah, I lie
And I don't even know it
Maybe this is
All a part of my flawed design

And ever since I figured out
That I could control other people
I've had trouble sleeping
With both eyes closed.


I wish this song didn't resonate with me so much, but it does. I have come out of relationships and after some time and distance, realized that the guy I was with had been lying to me. When I read the words in this song I felt ill. It reminded me that there are people out there who are not honest with their lovers and partners. People cheat, people lie, people manipulate and it hurts when you're the recipient of that behaviour.

I believe that, in general, people are good. But I guess I wanted to post this so that girls who haven't already been through what I have know that you can't just trust a guy because you want to. I believe strongly in gut feelings and listening to your friends and loved ones. When you're in a relationship and you keep telling yourself nothing's wrong . . . maybe something is. Not all guys are honest. Find the ones who are.

Let's all watch out for each other, eh? Guys too.

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Yeah, I have a real problem with men with beards. Long story from when I was a little girl. Made it tricky when my ex came back from six months away sporting a full beard. Ack!
Women do seem more believable than men, but that, sadly, doesn't mean they're more trustworthy. :(
Your joke made me giggle, but also, I don't think all men are liars. I guess it just worries me *what* they tend to lie about.

I don't really know what would make a woman lie to her man.. ladies? Help me out?

I've never bothered lying about my age or my weight.. what's the point? I'm not ashamed of my age (83 is a good time of one's life) and if a guy's asking about my weight he's messed up in the first place. I usually just tell him to guess or ask him why he cares. :)
As for orgasms, yeah.. I've talked about that one before! lol. the ladies who do lie about 'em wouldn't have to if they weren't trying to save their man's ego from deflating! :P

Hmmm.. the one about telling him I've already got a boyfriend when he asks me out? Would you rather we just said "um, no, I don't like you, not interested?"
Or maybe "EWWWWWW!"?

I'm sure many women do lie all the time, not debating that one! :)

It's early in the morning... I'm not making sense! lol... need a nap or tea.

dilling said...

We have all experienced a liar or two from both sexes, have we not? Sometimes, many times,I have been astounded at how wrong my "intuition" has been... I think that people who do not lie do not expect it of others. I think it comes as something of a shock. Now, I believe once you find someone, anyone,(not a BF or a GF) that is important to you and is honest, you just begin attracting more and more of the same to your life. Naive? I hope not.

dilling said...

I wrote a long comment...I think it is lost out there somewhere now...too exhausted to write it again...so yeah, let's watch out for each other!

Victoria said...

Hey dilling,
I hope the above is the comment you thought you lost! Sometimes it takes a loooooong time for comments to appear. Cuz, I gotta approve them and I can't do that from work and sometimes I work reaaaaaaaaaalllly late (yep, tonight) and don't get home to approve comments til everyone else has already fallen asleep. heh.
I totally agree with what you said.. "we've all experienced a liar or two from both sexes" Absolutely. Sadly.
I think I get upset when my intuition is THAT wrong and the person turns out to be a big fat liar poopy bum bum.

Naive? I don't think so. I think the people you surround yourself with attract others. So, if you have good, solid, honest people around you, you should attract more. My circle of friends may not be as large as some, but I can trust my friends with my life. And I would.

Except if they wanted me to bungee jump, then I'd just say No! ;)