Monday 30 October 2006

Typecasting

I realized something really weird today. I don't typically end up going out with guys I'm attracted to.

OK. Let me explain.

I am immediately attracted to a certain type of guy. Runners, soccer players, triathletes. I love em. It's partly their body type and it's partly their attitude. Guys who play soccer at a high level are my least favourite of the three, but long distance runners and triathletes are generally really neat guys. They're dedicated, they're determined, they're fit, and in my experience, they don't take life too seriously. I love em.

The thing I realized today is that only one of my relationships was with a guy who fits into any of these categories.

Why is that? Are those types of guys not attracted to me? Do I get so shy around them they never think to ask me out? Are they not dating me because I'm not out there running marathons with them? What is it? Do they not have the time to ask me out what with all the dedication and determination and training?

I've gone on dates with soccer guys and runners and triathletes, but only once has it turned into a relationship. And he wasn't training seriously at the time.

So why is it? Why am I attracted to these types of guys but never end up being in relationships with them? And on the flip side of that, why have my last several relationships been with guys who haven't seen fitness as a priority in their lives?

I know my previous relationships have all been with guys I've been attracted to and interested in, but still. . . where's my athlete?

Do you have to be one to get one?

8 comments:

cocoa_no_gogo said...

You never fail to baffle me. I think I enjoy reading your blog b/c you are more screwed up than me. I mean this in the best possible way.

Your pal,
CNG

Victoria said...

ahhhh hah ahh aaha hahahah!

I know what you mean! ; )

Anonymous said...

Looking at the previous comments, does that imply it takes one screwed up person to understand another? Does that therefore imply that shrinks are completely nutso?

Victoria said...

jonathan, sometimes I think so. i've heard a few times that shrinks are in the job they're in due to being completely nutso. also, my friend has this theory that the more attractive you find someone, the closer your neuroses are to being similar. GRRRRRRRREEEEEEAT.

and thank goodness I'm not the only one ryan! although, in this town you could join one of the ten gazillion running clubs or clinics and meet jogging chicks. For sure! ;)

Anonymous said...

Funny - the first thing that occurred to me to say after reading this was, "Hey! Why are soccer players the worst of the three?" Because my sweetie is a star soccer player.

That is nonsense about "do I have to be one to get one?" You may not run marathons, but judging by all the posts about the gym, you spend a good chunk of your time at a fitness facility. I say that means you and your fantasy guy have a common interest in fitness.

But are you in the right place to meet your athlete? You seem to get your fitness quota at the gym, but you're not looking for a gym rat, you're looking for someone you'd find pounding the pavement or on a soccer field. What about joining a running group or a soccer team?

Victoria said...

LOL! It's funny you should say that Laura, after I posted it, I re-read it and realized I didn't mean "worst" at all. Soccer players are hot hot hot, but in my town they tend to come with gargantuan egos soooooo... but yeah. Drool worthy. (In fact, my World Cup soccer pool choices were based on hotness of the teams. I did fairly well! heh)

I think I'm definately NOT in the right place to meet my hunky athlete. You're right, I don't want a gym rat and am not at the gym to meet a guy. Maybe once work settles down and the daylight comes back I could think about joining a soccer team or something. I'm really, at the moment, not in a great place to meet anyone. It's early enough in my career that I'm still working way too many hours and then crashing out when I have time to myself.

Maybe I should start a Victoria Triathalon event that involves running through my apartment somehow?

heh

Anonymous said...

A race event that involves running around a small enclosed area? That has been done before. It's called The McCabe Mile where crazy students race around inside the campus library. The winner gets a roll of toilet paper.

You might consider getting yourself a t-shirt like this: http://imagebin.org/6824. (imagebin.org removes the JPG after a week)

But seriously, you should not consider taking up running just to meet guys. That will make you a poser and anyone who is seriously into running will probably not be impressed. Keep doing what you already do and they'll take notice.

Victoria said...

Hmmmm... running for a roll of toilet paper. I'm guessing there's alcohol invovled? ; )

That'd be hilarious, me at the gym with a t-shirt that had all my vital stats on it. Wheeeee!

Happy New Year ynbf : )