Saturday 25 November 2006

I Don't Care What This Post Is About, Just As Long As There Is No Asterisk In The Title


Yeah, sorry about that. Didn't realize I was doing it until I'd already done it,what? Three times in a row now?

By the way, did you know that * is hard to spell? Or, maybe just weird to spell. See, I've always thought of it as "Asterix" not... Astericks.. Asterik... Assterricks. Asterisk. Yeah. I had to look it up. And all I could think of was.. "what about Obelix?" Apparently my childhood has had me mispronouncing asterisk all these years. ( And I will continue mispronouncing it damnit! Asterix!)

Anyhoo.

I was driving home from work the other day thinking that I love the songs I have on my iPod shuffle. So... for your amusement (or, because I can) here are the 10 songs that came up randomly right now when I played my iPod.

This one's for you Obelix!

-Going to California - Led Zeppelin
(oh! We haven't gotten into my obsession yet, have we?)

-One More Night - Stars
(nice, but I'm not in the mood for it right this second)

-Mushaboom - Feist
(awesome. kind of just a happy song. I randomly heard this song one day and ended up going to see her live. Loved her!)

-Let Go -Frou Frou (ok, I really love this song. Inspiring somehow.)

-Wonderwall - Ryan Adams (Best. Cover. Ever.) (Let's just pretend I didn't first hear it on the O.C. ok? )

-Three Little Birds - Bob Marley & The Wailers (Every little thing gonna be alright. That's what I like to hear, my brother.)

- Cowgirl in the Sand (live) -Neil Young (I've always liked Neil. I saw him live at Farm Aid a couple of years ago. Could have died happily at that moment. It was amazing, transcendent. Really.)

- Closer to Fine- Indigo Girls (Woah! Haven't heard this one in ages. That's what I love about Shuffle. This is a great song. Gets me motivated and inspired. And it reminds me of one of my best friends. We used to sing it together in University. Great song)

- Nothing Like You and I - The Perishers (Meh. I'm not in the mood for this one right now either. Good song though)

- Waiting For My Real Life to Begin - Colin Hay (oh. This one can make me cry. First heard it on Scrubs, which is an amazing show and makes me laugh and cry all at once. Colin Hay has written some gorgeous, touching songs.)



Well! That was fun! I think I'll do that again sometime.

12 comments:

dilling said...

farm aid in Seattle? it was the best show. Dave Matthews all totally smoked out by Willie trying to speak, something about his Wynn-Dixie movie debut("that was a good damn dog...) and I could hardly understand one word until he started to sing!!! And Mellancamp? and Willie... and Neil...and teegan and sara...and now I am just rambling on...soryy.

Anonymous said...

I always thought of it as "asterisk". That's probably because I'm English and obsessed with saying things correctly though...

What do you call the @ character?

Victoria said...

OMG Dilling! Was that not THE BEST SHOW EVER EVER EVER EVER?

Um... yeah. Dave Matthews rambling wildly and then blowing me away with just him and his guitar. And Neil. And John Cougar and Willie and Jerry Lee Lewis! And oh.. so.. damn.. good.

Victoria said...

Jonathan dearest, when I first saw you type that out I shouted "Ampersand!" Only to realize I was wrong.

I guess I refer to it as "at" What is it supposed to be called? Supposibly. (My best friend's word. I haven't the heart to tell her it's not a word)

Did you not know Asterix and Obelix? I thought I only knew then because my parents were British.

Anonymous said...

Techically Asterix was a French comic book so that might be why Canadians know it, but yeah it is so widespread I thought everyone knew about it too.

If it makes you feel better I thought ampersand too, then I was like no wait & is an ampersand, @ is an at. Duh! (Let's just pretend it was cause I was reading it at 11pm yes? You too?)

Oh and that concert sounds like it would have been amazing.

Victoria said...

Ahhh, mais oui, Asterix was French. I should ask my folks how they ever knew about it. My brother loved it when we were growing up. You knew it too, eh? Cool.

Maybe we should start a petition to rename @ "ampersand" (or maybe just a "forgive us, we were sleepy petition) *nods and grins*

And yeah. The concert was. Just amazing. It was around the same time Neil was playing up in... where was it.. Duncan? And I was choked that I didn't get tickets for that show when I heard about Farm Aid. It was fantabulous.

McGone said...

Let me know when the "Zeppelin Obsession" theme is happening, because I could blog all week.

Norma said...

I'm stopping by as a member of NaBloPoMo. I have 10 blogs, but this is the only one that sees much action, Collecting my thoughts. Keeping writing! I have tons of advice for single people too.

Victoria said...

McGone: Maybe you and I should have NaZepPoWk? (National Zep Posting Week)
; )

Victoria said...

Hello Norma, welcome! : )

Anonymous said...

I did a similar iPod random shuffle post with 25 songs, but mine was simply because I was wondering if my erratic taste in music is fairly normal or really as weird as it sometimes seems;> It was a fun one to do, though.

Victoria said...

And, what did you discover? Normal? ; )