Monday 11 December 2006

This Service Temporarily Unavailable

A couple of years ago, my brother accused me of only getting into relationships where the guy was, in some way, unavailable.

I didn't have much of a comeback, seeing as I was in my second long-distance relationship in a row and, as a rule, guys who don't live in the same town as you are unavailable in a noticeable way.

His statement has always irked me, in a "nuh uh" kind of way, (You know, your brother tells you you were found in a box and all you can come up with is, "NUH UH!", or maybe an "I'm telling!") but I'm starting to wonder if he may have been accurate.

See, there are three guys that are remote boyfriend possibilities at the moment. Very remote, but still. One of them lives on the other side of the continent and is hoping to eventually move back here. Another has a girlfriend at the moment and the third is an intern, therefore younger than I am and probably not appropriate dating material work-wise. Which makes me wonder if my brother was right.

Am I interested in these guys because they're unavailable and, therefore, safe? Does knowing the relationship wouldn't work or wouldn't last make things easier for me somehow? Am I really that messed up, or is my brother just being mean?

I mean, I'm pretty sure I wasn't found in a box, my Mom swears she went through labour. Maybe he's just a big meanie and I should tell on him.

Again.

5 comments:

danish said...

Hmmm. You really do have a pretty nice collection of undateable men right there. In fact, you're only missing the "Married with Two Kids" model, the "Gay & Proud" model, and the "James Bond Spy Type that is Too Busy and Dangerous for a Relationship" models.

Collecting undateable men and having the safety and security of an unrelationship is fine and dandy, but as scary as it may be, sometimes it's fun to give someone new (and dateable) a try. Seriously, it's just a try. You can always get out if you need to.

...or you can just tell on your brother (again). ;)

...besides, whatever happened to the gym folk...? I noticed you haven't mentioned any gym patrons in quite a while.

Victoria said...

Danish: I swear I don't do it on purpose, and while I've never EVER dated a married man I have dated ones with kidlets ( even after swearing I'd never ever do that again ). Whoops!

I just don't meet that many single guys around here!

As for the gym, I haven't been quite as much lately with work and injuries, and when I have gone it's been later in the evening when all the cuties are already out. Or, home snuggling with their girlfriends ; )

I think I'll just tell on my brother again, that's a good starting place!

:D

Anonymous said...

He's just being mean. Really. You're probably lovely, only you don't want to admit that to yourself.

Victoria said...

Thank you jonathan : ) That's very sweet of you and not far off the mark.

Victoria said...

wait... someone says they are dating someone as a sign that they're available?

me confused! ; )