Tuesday 16 January 2007

How To Create an Awkward Silence in Three Easy Steps

A couple of weeks ago, I went out to a show with my buddy.

I met him at his place and we headed off to a restaurant to meet some of his friends for dinner before the show.

After dinner, I was munching my way happily through the chocolate icing on my chocolate dessert when my buddy mentioned that he had an extra ticket for the show. He started calling some people to see if they wanted to come, and I said I didn't mind who joined us as long as it was a cute, single guy.

Well, let me tell you, the silence that came after that remark was so heated, you think I'd just suggested we all go out and poke puppies with sharp sticks.

I looked up and glanced at my buddy's friends and realized that they had all assumed I was his girlfriend. His girlfriend who just asked for him to bring along a cute, single guy.

D'oh!

My buddy hung up and looked around right as the guy next to me said, "Did you just say what I think you just said?" while everyone else stared at me.

It was awkward, so I did what any sane person would do.

I shrugged, smiled weakly, and went back to eating my dessert.

My poor buddy just looked around, got no answer from anyone, shrugged, and went back to making some calls.

Dude. I've never felt like such an accidental idiot.

I guess I just found another, previously unknown, difficult thing about having male friendships.


(Er, I should add....that's neither my buddy nor the show up there.)

6 comments:

Slinger said...

Do you think that maybe, deep down your buddy is hoping that some day you will be his girlfriend?

McGone said...

Wow. Just... wow.

You know how when you are watching the TV show THE OFFICE, you get embarrassed for the person on screen and have a hard time watching? Yeah, I kind of got that here. That sucks, V, you little heartbreaker.

Michael Colvin said...

Well that was awkward! Did his friends just assume or maybe your buddy hinted that you was his girlfriend/date?

Victoria said...

Slinger: Nah!

McGone: Nice! Now I'm on a cool tv show too! Wheeeeeeeee! : ) It wasn't that bad... I had chocolate!

Tod: His friends just assumed... partly, I think, because two of them were a very happy couple and you know how sometimes happy couples hope that everyone else around them is as happily coupled as them? yeah. Plus, I tend to be the only one around who's dorky enough to blurt out "So! Are you guys together, or what?" Yeah. I'm a menace.

: )

Jonathan Beckett said...

Is it really bad that I laughed out loud when I read what you did?

Some people read far too many things into stuff - whereas some people are the opposite (myself included).

We went to a 20-something birthday dinner the other week, and there were these two girls I didn't know who I just thought were really good friends (you can stop laughing already)...

Victoria said...

What else was I supposed to do? The chocolate dessert HAD to be eaten! heh.

I find the situation far more amusing now than I did at the time : )

"Reall good friends" hee hee hee!