Tuesday 24 April 2007

Smells Like Team Spirit*


So hockey playoffs have started and I'm loving it. LOVING IT.

The reason I'm loving it, however, may not be as obvious as you'd think. Sure, I love cheering on my team, but it's more than that. (Especially since my jinx this season appears to be thus: They lose every single game I watch. I can't even listen on the radio. *sob*)

See, I don't know what it's like where you live, but right now, cars all over town are starting to sport Canucks flags. It's awesome. There are usually one or two throughout the season, but come playoffs? They start springing up all over the place. It always feels kind of miraculous when it happens. (Same as all the red and white that comes out on Canada Day.) When I was in Vancouver, I even saw a truck with a massive flag attached in its bed. Huge!

When I was younger, I used to love riding the bus and seeing the bus drivers wave at each other. I thought it was so cool. Like, they're saying hi to each other just because they have something in common. When I first saw motorbike riders doing the same wave I thought it was equally cool. I like people finding common ground in something. It's one of the reasons I love going to concerts. All those people enjoying something. Together. We love to love something. We love to support something. And me? I love loving something and looking around and seeing everyone else joining right in.

So now, as I drive around town I feel like I'm in this big huge club. And we're all in it together. I get honks and waves. Kids cheer at my car and yell "GO CANUCKS" when I pass them. Today, on my way home from work, a guy gave me the bus driver wave. Like, "Hi fellow fan. Isn't supporting our team awesome?"

For me it's not about the debates or the stats. It's not about arguing over whose team is better or why my team should win. I've always been a Canucks girl. Had I been born in another province, I'd probably be a fan of that team, but that's not the point. The point is how cool it is to be driving around right now and seeing people supporting something. Taking pride in their support of something. It's like we all want to be a part of it. Almost as if we could WILL them to take the cup if we all cheer hard enough.

I think human beings need this these days. A reason to talk to a stranger. An excuse to make eye contact or start up a conversation. A reason to smile at someone instead of just passing them by. We love to have something in common and it's harder and harder to do that these days. For that reason alone, I love flying a Canucks flag on my car.

Plus, it makes finding where I parked a whole lot easier.

If you're supporting a team in the NHL playoffs, I hope they do well, I really do. They're just not going to do as well as my lovely, adorable, cute, wonderful, Canuckleheads.

So, Go Canucks Go; you're giving us a wonderful excuse to smile at strangers and feel like part of something. You're letting us be a team too. Thank you.

Bring it home, eh?


PS I know that's not a hockey jersey in the photo, but you get the point right? Team spirit and all that? Of course you do, y'all are the cleverest peoples ever. I didn't even really have to tell you, did I?

PPS I supported Liverpool just as heartily when I was in England, by the way. My brother did, ergo so did I.

*I originally titled this post "It Was A Very Good Cheer" because we were heading into game 7 and I didn't want to jinx them by assuming they'd win. Or lose. I'm all about the superstitions.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Go Canucks Go!! My fiance got a free ticket to go last night with his friend, the lucky bastard, so I watched it at home on TV with the dog, who was hilarious and would howl and bark (in support!!) every time I would clap and cheer. It was an awesome game last night! I take it you missed it since they lose every time you watch. Many thanks for deferring your viewing pleasure, all the fans appreciate it :)

Victoria said...

Yep! I didn't watch! And you're welcome! I emailed a bunch of my friends after they won saying how greatful they should be to me for not watching and therefore letting the boys win!
Lucky fiance getting to go, what a great game that must have been to be at!
I could, honestly, tell what a great game it was by the massive cheers that went up in the neighbourhood. It was awesome.
Go 'Nucks GO! ; )

Yvonne said...

I hope the Canucks keep going! On game nights I can enjoy stress-free shopping with no crowds/line-ups. >;-D

McGone said...

As I am from Chicago, I cannnot muster your enthusiasm... for the past 8 years or so.

But I have a back up team! The Colorado Avalanche! Oh, wait...

OK, I also kinda like the Boston Bruins... ah, crap. I got nothin'.

All sour grapes aside, great post, V. I will say good luck to you and your Canucks. I will take solace in the fact that my Blackhawks were bad enough to get the first round draft pick (in a weak draft year, sure, but still its all we got) :)

Jonathan Beckett said...

I know exactly what you mean about cursing the side you are cheering for - during the last Rugby World Cup I couldn't watch it - every time I switched the television on, Australia would score, and every time I had it switched off, England would score.

It happens to me with all sports.

It's depressing... and funny I guess :)

Victoria said...

Yvonne: It's so true! On that last, game 7 night, apparently there was barely any traffic and no one in the shops. That's awesome for those of us who aren't watching or can't watch the games!


McGone: First Round Draft Picks, WOOO HOOOOO! ( I'm tryin') Thanks for the good luck though. We'll take it!


Jonathan: Maybe you and I should band together to control all sporting events in our favour and make lots of bets and become rich!
We could (apparently) conrol both sides of the pond. Excellent!!!

dilling said...

We have that little community as soon as we are on the road every summer with out vw van...it's weird. Other vans honk and wave....the trek from south Texas(where the vws were few and far between) to the island(where we were waving like we were in a parade or something) was hilarious!!!!

dilling said...

sorry, i should've had something to say about the canuckleheads BUT my mild mannered, level-headed boyfriend has disappeared and I miss him...and am thinking of a long drive in the van instead of Hockey Night in Canada...who IS this guy yelling in my living room?!?

Victoria said...

That's hilarious, Dilling! I promise your boyfriend will soon come back to himself. Eventually. ; )

And how cool that you get the VDub van community. I may have to get myself one just to feel all happy like that! I can just imagine you driving around here, honk, wave, honk wave! awesome.