Sunday 27 May 2007

Moments

When you're going through a tricky time, sometimes all you want is for the moments of calm and clarity to last.

I guess those moments get longer and longer as time goes on.

If you take two steps forward and one step back every day, you're still moving forward, right?

This photo may not look like much, but it's a rather lucky shot.

I was trying to get a non-blurry photo of this cool luminara installation and right when I took this shot someone else took a flash shot of her from closer up.

The result is something I never could have planned and is better than I expected.

Kind of like life, I guess.

Hope you had a good weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assuming the man in the hat is 175cm (5'8") tall, the blur of his
torso is about 10 pixels wide and his head-to-hip height is 250 pixels
tall, that makes his motion-blur about 7cm in the forward direction.
Average walking speed is about 1 metre/sec so that makes the exposure
somewhere between 1/10sec to 1/15sec. At Luminara, where lots of
people are taking pictures, flashes are going off about once every
30sec to 60sec. This implies that the odds of you catching someone
else's flash with a 1/10sec or 1/15sec exposure is somewhere between
1:300 to 1:900.

So, yeah! That's really unusual! ... and neat, too.

Jonathan Beckett said...

There is a saying, isn't there (although my memory of things like this is pretty abysmal)... something about life is what happens while we're trying to figure out what it's all about...

Hope your weekend was predictable :)

Victoria said...

YNBF: YES! That's just what I'd figured in terms of odds too.. heh.
;)

Jonathan: Yes, there is that saying! I think there's a Beatles lyric too!