Tuesday 11 September 2007

Oh. My. Goodness!

Y'all, you'll never guess what happened at the gym today. (Well, ok, technically not today, seeing as I tend to write in the evening and post in the morning, but let's move on shall we?)

There I was, mulling over the fact that Treadmill #5 is "offline" right now (probably for an exorcism) and quite pleased with myself for having just made up a rather rude song about Smith to the tune of "God Save the Queen"

As I was flipping through my magazine on my treadmill, an "Excuse me" interrupted my random thoughts.

I turned to see a guy I vaguely recognize as one of the "regulars" (you tend to see the same people over and over once you've been going for a while since people tend to stick to certain times of the day).

"I just wanted to tell you, you look great." He said.

I was completely stunned, and flattered, and embarrassed but I thanked him and smiled, completely genuinely pleased from the compliment.

He went on to comment about my hair being different (which made me wonder if he had me confused with someone else or if maybe the last time he saw me my colour was slightly different) and something about the pink (which may have been my shirt, or possibly he thinks my hair was once pink, I don't know) and how I just looked great.

I thanked him again, feeling pretty shy and not really knowing what to do, or how to respond but it was so sweet and it really made my day. I haven't been feeling that great about myself lately (as you'll probably hear about later this week) and I was so happy to hear this guy tell me I "looked great." I was beaming. (And it was hard not to giggle a lot)

It was fantastic and did wonders for me and my smile and made me feel like a million bucks. Which, by the way, made me notice a few more smiles directed my way that I might have missed had this fellow not made me feel gorgeous.

It was super.

So now, two things.

First, I need to ask the guys something. Gentlemen, what's the best/worst way I could have responded to this? Let's assume he wasn't trying to pick me up and was just passing on a compliment. What would have been the rudest thing I could have done (albeit accidentally in a fit of shyness) and what would have been the best possible response (had I been slightly less shocked and shy)?

And now the second thing.

I think it would be totally awesome if sometime this week, we all could give a genuine compliment to a woman we don't really know. I've done it before and it's certainly a little awkward. (There was this adorable pregnant woman and I just had to tell her she looked adorable and was glowing) But it feels good to give a compliment without expecting anything in return, plus, you might just make someone's day. Or week!

So, let's try, okay? Let's see if we all can't go out there and make someone's day by telling them they look good.

You might be surprised how good it makes you feel too! Pass on the smiles. Karma will thank you.

Oh, and gym dude? Thank you!

15 comments:

Dominic said...

Hmm.. worst: act offended. Best (assuming he WASN'T trying to pick you up): pretty much what you did.

The best thing about complimenting a pregnant woman is that saying "Wow, you're getting really big!" gets you a cheerful smile instead of a hefty slap in the face

Ben said...

@dominic +1
Yes. If you assume he's picking you up instead of actually complimenting you, really, you're just showing you're a jerk, and not that attractive at all (real beauty being on the inside). Best is to accept the compliment. Lots of girls I know feel like they have to compliment back (guys too) - when just accepting is cool. (-:

danish said...

XD It's so nice when a really genuine compliment makes our day, isn't it? (assuming he wasn't trying to pick you up).

Your compliment made you happy and I'm happy for you. Whee!

...and your pink hair thing was funny, by the way. Just made me giggle for some reason.

McGone said...

Worst would have been you acting like you already know you look great, with a "now go away little man" sneer on your face.

Best is to not push it.

I won't be passing a compliment along to a woman I don't really know, just because I don't want to get in trouble with The Girl. I'll genuinely comliment her instead.

McGone said...

That last line was meant to be funny. Rereading it, it looks like I'm spineless.

Ahh, maybe I am.

Victoria said...

Dominic, so, yay, I done good! : )


Cap, We do (I think, in this society) tend to have a hard time taking a compliment. It's like "I like your hair" "Well thanks, yours too!" Which somehow makes both less meaningful, you know?

Danish, I think the world would be a better place for more people randomly complimenting others! Spread the love, people!

McGone, how about this as a worst response: "Um, yeah? And?"
heh. Dude, I'm sure the Girl will love her compliments just as much as a stranger would! : )

Spineless, schmineless.

(Wow, that's the weirdest word ever)

Delton said...

Worst - Well, gee! Thanks!

Best (to a non-pickup) - Well, gee! Thanks!

Best (to a pickup) - Well, gee! Thanks!

See, now you get yet another glimpse into why the male mind is easily confused at the wily woman.

Victoria said...

You know what Delton? When I get little glimpses like this into the male mind it makes me wonder how anyone ever gets together in the first place! lol

Yvonne said...

laughing @ delton!

and yay for compliment karma. ;)

Victoria said...

: )

I love the idea of compliment Karma!

Anonymous said...

I love it when this happens. I try and compliment people as much as possible, so it always cheers me up when people can compliment others. Makes me feel like I'm not just being a fool.

:-)

Victoria said...

Yay for you genevieve, I'm sure you're *not* a fool!

: D

Anonymous said...

This is in response to your Sept 13th
post.


First off, I think you have a wonderful
figure. How can I tell? From your
photos. You have a freckle right in
between your collar bones which shows
up here, here and here. You also have
a light mark on the right side of your
back here and here. Unless you keep
taking photos of one particular friend,
I think I know what your figure looks
like and I think it looks great.

You might argue "Thanks, but I've
gained weight since then." Weight gain
and weight loss is an evolutionary
trait and creatures like deers and elks
can never gain weight, no matter how
plentiful food is. So when famine hits,
they die by the mass. Human, on the
other hand are much more resilient and
more adaptable because of their ability
to get fat or get skinny. So, don't
think of weight-gain as a bad thing;
know that it is a superior trait that
has been honed through millions of
years of evolution.

The difference between a fat person and
a fit person is that one has found a
physical activity they enjoyed. And I
think you found it yourself because you
are still sticking with it after so
long. I just can't emphasize enjoyment
enough. But, be warn though. First it
starts off as enjoyment, but it may turn
into an addiction (which isn't so bad,
actually).

Victoria said...

Well, *blush*, thanks!

Those aren't all photos of me, but, thanks all the same.

Yay for me and my evolutionary traits! ; )

Anonymous said...

Men giving women compliments (or women giving women compliments for that matter), needs to happen more often, and at random times. I second that, so I posted your idea on my blog and also proclaimed Mondays "Give Women Compliments Day." :)