Monday 29 October 2007

It's Hard to Keep Backup Players Around When They Don't Get Much Play.


I've lost my backup goalies.

And, no, that's not a euphemism for birth control.

What I mean is that my backup guys are gone.

It first started a few years ago when my backup husband* broke our promise and went and got married.

And more recently, my two not-boyfriends who I could just have a fling with if I really really needed to and there would be no emotional repercussions because we'd already been there and never quite managed to date moved to Vancouver.

With their girlfriends.

Sigh.

Currently I have no backup husbands or boyfriends or rompity romp friends. (Please don't make me explain that, I'm really not that kind of girl, it's just that ringlets can be so hard to resist.)

I'm thinking I won't be able to replace my bench and while I'm not really desperate for someone to randomly smooch, I do miss having a backup husband.

It was nice knowing that if I didn't find the perfect guy, I could at least have a marriage with a good friend who made me laugh. At least we'd have had fun, right?

It's kind of weird when your Exes start moving on and getting married and (gulp) having kids, but it's even weirder when your non-Exes do the same thing.

I don't think I'll be able to rebuild my bench, but I wouldn't mind finding me a backup husband. Maybe someone should sell husband insurance; for $9.99 a month, they'll find you a decent guy to marry before you reach the age of your choice. (You'd have to be at least, what? 26? to order this insurance?

Sound fair?


What? You're still shocked at the rompity romp thing aren't you?


Sigh.





*We promised we'd get married at 40 if neither of us had married by then. I figured since I wasn't getting married anytime soon, it wasn't fair of him to go and fall in love.

10 comments:

Yvonne said...

omg, I am loving the term "rompity romp friend"! hee!

The whole back-up spouse thing is weird to me! I know of a few people who partake in this ritual but I figure that nobody want to be second (or second-to-last!) choice! ;)

Hmmm, maybe karma is shooing away your back-ups to prepare you for the arrival of Mr. Victoria. (Wouldn't want you to be too distracted and miss him!)

Likalia said...

Sometimes back-up husbands can be so unthinking. Don't they realize the cancellation clauses in those agreements are costly? ;)

And I agree with Yvonne 'Rompity Romp Friend' is an excellent term way better than 'F*@k Buddies'.

dilling said...

Rompity romp romp
Rompity romp romp

I like how that sounds
heheheheh

Princess of the Universe said...

That is the best term I've ever heard used for that...rompity romp...

Yeah, I had a backup husband- he bailed WAY too early in the agreement.

Victoria said...

Yvonne, rompity romp just sounded right to me! *giggle* I don't think I'd ever actually have married my backup husband, but it sure was nice knowing he was there, even if just pretend, you know? And yes, maybe Karma is cleaning my...closets? ; )

Likalia, I know what you mean about those darn backup husbands. Pffft!
Heh.

Dilling, ok, now I'm just all embarrassed because I keep hearing Frosty the snow man when you write it out that way! heh

Princess, silly stinky backup husband bailers! ; )


Wow, I'm...so .... happy you all like "rompity romp so much!

Giggles and high fives y'all.

Maplemusketeer said...

I too am a fan of rompity romp friends. It really is an important and valuable roll. And it's pretty slick when it's all figured out and trusting and mellow and cool. That's a good situation.

But indeed perhaps you are being prepared for bigger and better things? :)

Jenn O'Neil said...

Rompity romp friends are always good. I hate it when my back ups get married. It leaves me with this strange kind of feeling my brain is screaming "why not me??" And by that I mean why not me getting married - not why not marry me.

Being single is terribly hard sometimes and fantastic at others...wouldn't you agree?

Victoria said...

Jordan, all these people coming out of the rompity romp closet...who knew?

Jenn, I totally know what you mean about that feeling....dude, why aren't you marrying me??????

Sigh.

I'd agree : /

Maplemusketeer said...

It can be a tough navigation, and transition, to a rompity romp friendship, and part of the sweetness is bitter, though wonderful, because it is fleeting and transitory in nature. There is a reason that rompity romp friends aren't boyfriends and girlfriends. I don't think that it means that they may never will be, because it could be that situations dictate an inpractibility, which could change, but I think that more often there is an acknowledgement (consciously admitted or not) that it's not something that is going to hit that full next level, the external definition, the public exposure (so to speak). (Ok.. there could be public exposure in a rompity romp but that wasn't what I meant ;) Cheeky monkey)

I think it is true that sometimes a RRR or R3 (Rompity Romp Relationship) can be a "now isn't the time, and it could change later" thing.. but most of the time it's more of the "this is a wonderful thing now, but we're not willing to commit, or don't think it will work, or other stuff"...

Blah blah blah, it's late, and I'm getting repetitive and nonsensical. And what am I talking for? I don't really understand this stuff that well anyways! ;) LOL

G'night :)

Victoria said...

scratches my chin philisophically and says "hmmmm, I see..."




; )