Wednesday 24 October 2007

So Kiss Me

I've been thinking a lot lately about first kisses.

Mine, to be specific.

If I'm perfectly honest, first kisses that morphed into first make out sessions have been lost in the recesses of my mind somewhere. I couldn't tell you what my first kiss with Smith was like and that's too bad. Ok yes, I've now just admitted that our first kiss was a make out session.) The first kisses that stand out in my memory are the ones that were just that. A kiss.

I have two first kisses that stick in my memory more so than others.

One was with my first serious boyfriend, the one I had my "other" first with.

It was back in first year university and I'd had a crush on this guy for a while. One night, a few weeks into our attempts at flirting (or whatever it is you do when you're young and ignorant innocent) we were all heading back to our residences and were hanging outside my building. Someone started talking about finding the right person and this guy mentioned how he'd heard people say you had to kiss a lot of frogs before you found your prince.

I looked over at him and he was sitting on top of a garbage can and something about the light, he just looked so vulnerable and like he figured he wasn't anybody's prince, more like an ugly frog. And I leaned over and mumbled something about how he looked like a prince to me and I kissed him. It was really sweet.

The next first kiss I remember very well is my first kiss with DD. This one currently resides in my mind as my best first kiss.*

DD and I had met for our first date and he was walking me back to my car after.

I got to my car and unlocked it and thanked him for the date. (We'd met for drinks and then played pool until late in the morning) I leaned in and gave him a hug (and possibly a kiss on the cheek, I forget) and opened my car door.

I had it all the way open when DD reached out and gently closed the door before I could get in. Then he leaned forward and gave me the most beautiful, delicate kiss. It lasted just long enough for me to feel a little bit dizzy.

He pulled away and I just kind of stared at him and he said "there, that's better" and he opened my car door, helped me in and told me he'd call me tomorrow.

Dude.

The words are escaping me to describe these moments well. Both were incredibly romantic and powerful and meaningful and I enjoyed them immensely.

With my first boyfriend it was all about the moment.

With DD, it was all about how smooth he was.

Smooth, gentlemen, is something you either have or you don't. And if you don't have it? Don't try.

Sincere will always go over well, so mean it.

I don't think a first kiss should be over thought (right, good luck with that, eh? As if we're not all thinking about this from the get go...), but I do think it should be special.

In a perfect world, I think a first kiss should stand alone.

I like first kisses that just happen.

And, I think there's a difference between a first kiss that's all about hope and potential and what's to come v/s a first kiss that's all about lust and sex and good-god-how-quickly-can-we-get-into-bed already?

First kisses should be about a promise and a beginning of something.

First kisses should be something you both remember.


Sixpence None The Richer - Kiss Me 

What's your best first kiss story?




*Yes Mister Perfect, another challenge for you.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

First kiss?

In the middle of a teen party with someone I had the hugest crush on. Mid-kiss, I realized, "THIS IS MY FIRST KISS AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM DOING"

I broke away and left the party (and the kiss).

Smooth :)

Victoria said...

Awwwww!

Well, that's about as smooth as teens get, right?

One of my many non-smooth moment was when kissing a guy and he said "why don't we go someplace darker" I responded with "take me home right now"

In retrospect, he probably just wanted to get out from under the blazing lampost!

Whoops!

dilling said...

I remember the first time Michael even touched my arm...I can still feel the spot. It has overshadowed our first kiss. Funny, eh?

Likalia said...

Sadly I think I would have to consult many an old diary to find a story of a first kiss and get back to you (though even then I don't know if I would find one).

I wish I could remember such things. I suppose when the really important first kiss comes I'll remember it (I hope).

Victoria said...

Dilling, I so totally understand what you're saying. Totally. *happy sigh* I think that's wonderful : )

Likalia, maybe the ones that stick in your mind are the important ones? Or, yeah, maybe you just haven't had one that's *important* enough to remember ; )

McGone said...

Edited:

I looked over at him and he was sitting on top of a garbage can... And I leaned over and mumbled something about how he looked like a prince to me and I kissed him. It was really sweet.

You must have read different fairy tales than most people when you were a kid. ;) A garbage can?

Michael Colvin said...

You know I may be wrong but I think the girls are going to remember all the first kisss stories. The guys, maybe not so much ;)

Victoria said...

McGone, maybe I read the urban versions? ; )


So what are you telling me Tod? That all my first kisses meant very very little to the one kissing me?
I might have to make a few phonecalls!!!!

; )

Laura said...

Oh this is sad, but the only first kisses I can remember are my first kiss EVER, and then just the really bad ones. All the rest just kind of blend together. For the record, my first kiss ever was the most disappointing let-down of all time. I thought it would feel like fireworks, but the guy (who had officially been my boyfriend for 3 weeks and hadn't gotten up the nerve to so much as peck me on the cheek) finally leaned in for what I thought was going to be a sweet, soft kiss... and it was a quick hard peck on the lips that was over before I realized it was happening.

Actually, I also remember my first kiss with my fiance. It was a very good kiss :) The only good first kiss I can remember.

Michael Colvin said...

No, I am sure they loved every moment of it. But for guys I reckon it is a moment thing, not a memory thing.

I may be wrong of course, it might just be me!

Victoria said...

Laura, it's weird when you start realizing you can't remember them all eh? Especially when they mean so much at the time. Bummer about your first kiss though, doesn't sound like the best first one ever, but it does make a good story! And I love that you can remember your first kiss with your ALMOST husband! ; )

Tod, I kinda like remembering moments too. I've got a few of those stored up!


Tyler (good to see you back) Funny how things blur, eh?

cocoa_no_gogo said...

I'm a guy and I remember first kisses.

And I agree, I like first kisses that just happen.

Sex is great but it's complicated. A kiss is all about capturing the moment. In fact, I think what I may like the most is a first kiss that is also the last kiss.

That being said, as a guy I'm not sure I'm happy I shared that, and I may have even just thrown up in my mouth a little.

danish said...

I LOVE this post~ it's really sweet!

A friend of mine had one that I thought was amazing--while working abroad in South Africa, she fell for this Amazingly Hot Dude and their first kiss was under a tropical waterfall that the two went to. (Hope I'm remembering that correctly.)

On that note, kisses in the rain are nice, too, I think... :)

Victoria said...

Cocoa, we'll pretend this conversation never happened and I certainly won't say awwwww, or anything like that, okay? (But, dude, thanks... totally sweet!)

Wow, tropical waterfall, that's a pretty good one! Kisses in the rain? Aren't they just .... cold? And drippy?

; )

Yvonne said...

okay, seriously swooning here about your first kiss with DD! Wow!

Unfortunately, my first kiss was from a drunken older guy at a high school party. The unfortunate part being that he was drunk and I wasn't, therefore I remembered it. lol

First kiss with the love of my life was in his truck, in a Walmart parking lot at around 11pm. He'd just picked me up from the airport in Nashville and we were on our way to our cabin in Alabama. When we got there, we slow-danced by candlelight. It was an amazing night/week/everything. ;)

Kisses are seriously underrated!

Victoria said...

Yvonne, I think you have a great point...kisses ARE underrated! : )

I love the story of your amazing night/week/everything ; )

Anonymous said...

well i skrewed up adn did it at my theatre company - note to self curtains are renowned to open

and if you think a guy is a player - but he head buts you when u make a move - hes probly not the sex god he wishes

Victoria said...

tee hee

Kas said...

My first Kiss with my husband was an OMG kiss. I was in a very unhappy place in my life and he was there and it was sweet and gentle and OMG 10 yrs later I still smile about it and - if I'm not with him at the moment- I will call and tell him AGAIN how happy he makes me.

Wow--

'scuse me while I drool...

~Kas

Victoria said...

Awwww Kas! Your story made me smile and giggle and dreamily sigh all at once! Awww!