Wednesday 16 January 2008

C is for Candy and C is for Chocolate

I've been thinking a lot lately about candy and chocolate. Chocolate more so, since it's one of my favourite things. I used to go through chocolate phases and while OHenry has recently moved back into my hall of love, for a while there it was all about Caramilk thick. (Which, despite what they might try to tell you, does not taste the same as the smaller bars, it tastes BETTER!) I should also give out honourable mentions to M&M's peanut (and on a very rare occasion peanut butter), and milk chocolate Hershey's bar (which I've only ever found in the States or Mexico). And if you open up a box of chocolates? I call dibs on the orange creams.

In the "no thank you" pile, I'd have to put Coffee Crisp and black liquorice.

As for candy? I'm not sure I'd say I have a favourite, but I do tend to enjoy Starburst/Skittles type things. And, Grape flavoured candies are the best, orange second, and banana or watermelon flavours aren't even worth trying. I'll usually skip over lemon and lime too. Soda bottles are good, but only in large size and... bubble gum flavoured gum.

But if you really want to win me over? Fry's Cream Bar or Cadbury's Cream Egg.

Mmmmmm.....

*drifts off into sugary dreamland*

And did you know that Smarties here aren't the same as Smarties in the US? And did you know that if you get them from the UK, the orange ones have the most delectable flavour?

(PS. I know I'm out of order with the alphabet thang. I do have a "B" post out there, it's just not finished. Yet.)

13 comments:

Alexandra said...

I live in sugary dreamland. my new obsession is with this dark bar with cocoa nibs in it. It is soo good and the nibs give it a very interesting crunchy texture.

Mmm....chocolate.

Susie said...

I have such huge candy cravings now..thanks a lot!

I LOVE peanut butter m&ms and cadbury eggs, omg yesss.

dilling said...

If you buy a mixed candy bag, I will let you have all the chocolate if I can have all the black licorice, the lime or lemon ANYTHING...but also...nothing banana for me.
B is for Bananas, though... or breathtaking, bees knees, Binaca Blast, buttercream, Butter brickle...anything else?

Michael Colvin said...

I was with you until you said, "Orange creams" and then I shuddered to the very core of my being.

GF Girl said...

C is for cookie... that's where my weakness is - and you don't like black licorice - then pass it on over - as long as it's vegan though

Victoria said...

Alexandra, are the nibs bitter at all? (Why am I giggling at "nibs"?)

Dilling, we're on... it's a perfect deal! (We'll just give away the banana stuff) I can't think of any more B candy, but B is also for Boyfriends don't you know? ; )

Tod....what? WHAT? Well, I suppose we can co-exist since you'll just give me all yours, right? You, me and Dilling can live in candy harmony :D

Mmmmmm cookie. How could I have forgotten cookies. Wait, Jenn, I probably shouldn't even get myself started! Wooooooo eeee!

Yvonne said...

V, sounds like you could have yourself a doctorate in candy!
I've never had (or seen?!) a Fry's Cream Bar. I am intrigued! And now I must try a Caramilk Thick. All your fault, ofcourse. ;)

Snickers is still my favourite among mainstream chocolate. The caramilk bars with the honeycrisps are also awesome!
Going to the US is always exciting because they have soooo much stuff we don't have here!

Now I must attack my box of Caramilk Thins!

Victoria said...

Yvonne, yes, the truth comes out, I am actually a PhD candidate in candyology with a speciality in chocolate! Hee!
Fry's Cream seems to be a love/hate thing but you can find them at British Candy Shops in town. I hope you like the Caramilk Thick! Wheeee!

Angella said...

You. Are. Making. Me. Hungry.

Michael Colvin said...

Fry's Creams are only eaten by grannies with no teeth over here. :O

Mwuhahaha!

Victoria said...

Angella, think of ....er..... non-appetizing things. It might help! ; )

Tod, I'm going to take my dentures out and wave them at all you kids now!

Heh.

Jen Wilson said...

You can send all the black licorice over here - those are my favorites!

Victoria said...

I'm so glad there are people like you in the world, it makes it all so balanced! :D