Thursday 24 January 2008

Then Go Answer Your Door

It was about this time two years ago that one of the sweetest things a guy's ever done for me happened. Occurred? Took place? (Please put the appropriate words in there cuz I can't come up with them. Or maybe just scratch the whole sentence. Yeah, let's do that.)

A couple of years ago I was having a small get together of people (Otherwise known as pee-pees, for those of you playing along at home) over to celebrate my birthday with Jello shots and cake. (Holy smokes it's bad writing day today, please bear with me.)

The guy I was seeing at the time had just recently moved up to Courtenay for an excellent job opportunity and we weren't really sure how things were going to work. I'd invited him to the party but what with him working late and the three or so hour drive he just couldn't make it. I was pretty disappointed but told him I understood and that maybe we'd be able to see each other next weekend.

About nine o'clock the night of the party he called to see how things were going. I took the phone into my bedroom to avoid the teasing and cat-calling of my friends (the Jello shots were strong man!) and he told me how much he wished he could be there since it sounded like we were all having fun.

I told him we were and that he should be there too and that I missed him.

"You miss me?" he said.

"Yep." I replied, eloquent as usual.

"You wish I was there?" he asked.

"I do." I answered.

"Then go answer your door." He said and hung up the phone.

I don't think I've ever blushed so much in my entire life as I did when he showed up, completely unannounced, an utterly adorable surprise right at my door. I think I forgot my own name. We had a great time and everyone thought it was adorable and I was, apparently, the cutest wreck for a little while. (The Jello shots helped settle my nerves.)

It really was the sweetest thing and the best surprise and a wonderful gift. He was a real sweetheart and I hope he's doing well. Sometimes I forget about the good guys.

16 comments:

Likalia said...

That is a great story.

But wait, are you trying to tell me that there are "nice", "sweet" AND "adorable" guys that live in Courtenay?

Why don't I ever meet them, hmm, must go do research on this.

Jen Wilson said...

Aww! That IS so sweet! Oh the good guys are soooo good.

Princess Consuela Banana Hammock said...

i LOVE it when they do things like that. sometimes its the little things that mean the most. and those little things are what keep my faith in the male species. thats a really sweet story. :)

Victoria said...

Likalia, apparently there are! Good luck with the research ; )

Mrs. Wilson, the good ones sure are good!

Princessly one, the little things can totally mean more! : )

The Single Girl said...

Whole Meg Ryan movies could be made from that story. sigh ...

Yvonne said...

awwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That absolutely rocks!

My door buzzer ran today and I was hoping it might be belated bday flowers from a certain someone, but no - it was one of the old ladies in my building who had locked herself out. LOL

Victoria said...

TSG, good point, maybe I could sell it for a million bucks?

Yvonne, that's hilarious! *grin*

Victoria said...

Oh, and happy belated b-day Y!

Yvonne said...

Thanks V!

btw, where is this fabulous boy these days? Maybe you should invite him for coffee/tea/whatever. ;)

Victoria said...

: )

As far as I know he's still up Island. Completely lost touch with him.

Jonathan Beckett said...

My other half did that to me when we were first seeing each other.

She drove an hour through the rain on a week night to where I lived, and rang on her mobile saying she had just fed the cat etc...

And then my doorbell rang.

Ben said...

+14bazillion points for awesomely-cute stuff like that!

Rock on him.

and you for picking a good one like that. C-:

Anonymous said...

V, I'm thinking some google and/or Facebook research is in order here!

Yvonne said...

oh weird, it's Yvonne but I've been labeled anonymous!
I'm signed in and everything. hmmm

Victoria said...

Jonathan, that's totally adorable!

Cap, definitely +14 bazillion points!
: )

Anonymous/Yvonne, I've actually completely forgotten his last name, so no luck there. ; )

Victoria said...

Oh, and crazy about the anonymous thing. That's like when it signed me in as a completely other person.

Weiiiiiird.