Monday 10 March 2008

And Then There Were Three?

OK. Let me explain how I came to be shaking my head at the turn of events this weekend.

The turn of events that saw me hanging out with three separate single guys.

In one weekend.

Dude.

Wait...maybe it should be "turns of events". Does that make more sense? Feel free to use the phrasing that makes most sense to you, nothing much is making sense to me at the moment.

So, first of all it's Friday (no, not today, I do know that much) and after the week we've had at work we decide it's really quite necessary that we all go out to a pub to relax. And possibly drink. And eat cheesecake. And nachos.

And I thought I'd email young buck former co-worker spy guy and let him know that we were going if he wanted to join us. I know he'd previously said he'd much rather just hang out with me instead of having to get to know my co-workers, but I figured I'd ask anyway. So I did, and he said he'd meet us there. (Which, I have to say is very brave of him, much braver than I'd be.)

The way things ended up, he arrived last, just as our two youngest spies were arriving and so he ended up a couple of people away from me. He was very friendly to the two (younger, pretty) spies and I just kind of let him do his own thing. It was hard trying to join in to their conversation partly because we were cracking ourselves up down at my end of the table and partly because whenever I turned to join the conversation the three of them were having it seemed too deep for a Friday afternoon over beers. So, we didn't end up chatting much and I'm realizing now he must think I blew him off at the end of the evening.

As we were all heading home he was checking in with his friends to see if they wanted to go to a hockey game and he asked if anyone wanted to go, and even though he was looking right at me with these big puppy dog eyes, I didn't really clue in and said, nah, I was heading home to the couch. (I know, I'm lame, but dudes? Such a long week. Plus, I dunno, guess I just wasn't that interested)

In all fairness to him, he ended up being really friendly to two complete strangers and talking to them when no one else really was, so he's a good guy for that. And, I said to my friend who was with us that I can see this guy being a really attractive older man. I'm not sure how to explain that except to say that I can imagine running into him when he's 40 or 50 (etc.) and thinking "damn, he aged well, now he's HOT!" You know how some guys do that? Improve with age. (Not that he's bad to start with, I'm just saying... he's going to grow into his face well.) Good lord that sounds weird, but I know exactly what I mean.

So that was Friday.

Not mentioning the super adorable / hot guy at work coming up to me and reaching out to wipe the pen mark off my chin. Um, hello? Are you trying to make me faint? (Don't get excited, he's got a girlfriend. Long term. No possibility there.)

And then on Saturday morning, runner guy called me and we went out for breakfast. (Oh, Bacon, how I love thee) We had a good time and hung out together for a while before we both had to move on to other things. I'm still not sure how I feel about him, but we get along well and there's no rush. (Right?) (Right.)

Which leads us, chronologically speaking, to Sunday night when Spy Girl (she who set me up with runner guy, remember?) called me up and said she was having some friends over for dinner if I wanted to join. "Did I mention one of them is a single guy?" she asked.

"I'll be there in five minutes."

I wasn't really going to meet this guy, but I wasn't going not to, if that makes sense. Turns out it was her friend that she'd mentioned before, a nice, if somewhat shy guy and she figured the two of us should meet.

I was quite proud of myself, in all honesty, because I didn't think too much about it. I thought "Someone will cook me dinner (and I know Spy Girl's a good cook) and I like hanging out with her and maybe this guy will be nice and if not I'll get out of the house and have some yummy dinner." Nothing to lose, right?

I guess at some point after I left, either Spy Girl gave him my email or he asked her for it and he sent me an email and we've chatted a few times since.

Now let's re-cap and re-evaluate, shall we? I've hung out a few times with runner guy. I've hung out (with a group) with spy guy once (and haven't heard from him since even though I emailed to say it was nice to see him and stuff) and I've met Spy Girl's "sweet but shy" friend.

It's a very bizarre sensation for me to 1. be talking to more than one guy at once, even if I'm not "dating" any of them and 2. to not be totally spazzy and obsessing about what it all means. (Well, most of the time, anyway) This is all, all new and I have no idea how any of it is going to turn out. If it's going to turn out at all. Maybe I'm just meeting new people and making new friends.

There's nothing wrong with that. At all.

Now, if only I could keep them all out of my dreams. (Silly subconscious)

8 comments:

McGone said...

Player!

Likalia said...

Sounds like some good times, whether they are new friends or something else it seems worthwhile.

Not to mention I'm a little jealous that you have options. :)

Oh and the subconcious is such a pain in the butt at times.

Laura said...

Dude, you are totally not into young buck former coworker spy guy. Or you would have clued in. And wanted to talk more to him. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just sayin'.

I am also jealous you have options. I spent the last two months wallowing in self-pity because my life was falling apart, and then, Poof! A few days ago somehow it all just fell away and I totally want to date again. And do not ever think about my ex except to occasionally reminisce on all the ways I should have noticed that our relationship was not so good.

This desire to date is kind of irritating, being that I'm leaving for Europe in 5 weeks. But oh well.

Jenn said...

That rascally subconscious...it'll get'cha every time!

Victoria said...

Likalia, I'm totally looking at it from the perspective of "have fun, make friends" and I think that's an important thing for me to try instead of jumping right in : )

Laura, yeah, you're probably right, I'm not hugely into him. At least not right now.
Only two months wallowing? Wow, you're amazing! Really. I'm betting I'd still be at it, good for you!
I know your trip will be wonderful for you and maybe you'll even get to date while you're there! ; )

Jenn, it sure will! My, oh my.
Heh

Yvonne said...

Wow girl, I'm exhausted after your weekend! ;)

Alexandra said...

Options hold lots of value.
And this is how my finance education applies to dating. I always knew that what I learn in school will help me someday.

Victoria said...

Me too Yvonne! ; )

Alexandra, hmmm, I'm going to have to follow that analogy some more! lol