Wednesday 16 April 2008

Excuse my French on This One


I was driving home from Teh Work the other day when Pink Floyd's Time came on.

(I just have to interrupt myself here for a second to say that Pink Floyd is one of my top four favourite bands, and Dark Side of the Moon is one of the greatest albums ever. If, for some reason, you don't already have it, go get it already. Seriously.)

As I was listening to this song for the four hundred gazillionth time, I realized that all of a sudden I was getting a whole different take on the lyrics.

Here's the part I'm talking about:

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
I used to hear this part of the song and think "damn, I've missed so much, my life isn't where it should be and it's all just so......sad" Which isn't entirely surprising since a lot of Roger Waters' writing is pretty dark, especially if you're interpreting it from that angle. Which I had been for years. (I still remember the first time I listened to the Wall's closing song and finally heard the hope in it rather than the pain I'd always heard. It's good to know that you can change, you know? Nice.)

(Holy smokes do you know how long it takes to write a post when you keep getting yourself off on tangents? For. Ever!)


As I was driving along I realized that those lines "No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun "used to really ring true with me. But all of a sudden, it struck me that ten?, fifteen? years ago, someone shouted in my ear "RUN! You've missed the starting gun, RUN!" and I did. I ran.

I ran full steam ahead into life, got my degree(s), got my job, nearly got a husband, did it all. Because someone told me it was time to run, I had to catch up, I'd missed the starting gun.

Now, all of a sudden I heard those lyrics and I stopped*.

"Why am I running?" I asked myself. "Why am I caught up in racing somewhere?"

This isn't a race I chose to be in. I just ran because someone told me to.

"Society", in all its incarnations, told me it was past time, it was already too late.

Fuck that, I say.

I'm out. Y'all go race your race. I'll be over here enjoying my life from my own path. Thanks for the thought, but next time someone tells me to run, I'm going to ask what the race is all about and I'm going to figure out if it's actually one I want to be in.

Life's too short to just keep running blindly.

I'ma gonna play this my way now.

Thanks, Floyd.



Oh, and by the way, which one's Pink?**




*Metphorically, of course, I was driving after all, sillies.



**Obscure Floyd reference for those of you out there equally obsessed with Teh Boys.

9 comments:

Likalia said...

I currently have Dark Side playing on my car stereo too, love it. (ok love Pink Floyd - I'm not good at being one of those knows every in and out of a band type fans - though I'd like to be.)

It is funny when, like you say, you realize you are running towards "the norm" and really have no desire to be doing so. Lately it seems I have a lot of friends saying they are "so behind", and I keep asking them "behind in what?". They can't ever tell me though - it is just some feeling they have.

I've never been good at following the expected path, I like my path it is strange and circuitous but eventually I believe it will get me where I want to go.

Pull up a chair and let's watch the people run by, maybe there will be some cute guys we can trip off the path. I'll bring the Bellinis. ;)

Anonymous said...

There's a Calvin & Hobbes strip with a very similar sentiment:

"You'll never get ahead like that, you know."

"Who are we racing?"

I was listening to Pros & Cons earlier today. Must be the time of year to listen to Roger Waters :)

I hope so, anyway - I'm going to see him in concert in a month's time!

Victoria said...

Likalia, I always think you can be JUST as much of a fan without having to know all the little details of a band. So, yay another Floyd fan!
That feeling of being "so behind" sucks, but if must suck even more if you're not really sure what it is you're behind on. Marriage? Kids? Mortgage? Career?
And dude? If you're brining the Bellinis, I'm SO THERE! ;)
(And I like your idea of tripping the cute guys off the path as they head by.. heh heh)


Dominic, I love Calvin and Hobbes! Totally awesome. Let me know how the concert goes, he's a fine musician!

Jenn O'Neil said...

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy,
We call it Riding the Gravy Train.**

**Obscure reference from your obscure reference.

Have you done the thing where you line up The Wizard of Oz with the album? It's seriously freaky but a lot of fun....especially if there are any kind of substances involved.

Victoria said...

Oh shoot Jenn, now I have to go listen to that song because all I can think is "We call it riding the gravy traaaaaaaaa aiiiiiiiin" ;)

I haven't done that thing with the Wizard of Oz. Maybe someday? heh

Yvonne said...

Brilliant post!
Die hard Floyd fan here too. It really warms my heart that someone as young as yourself appreciates their awesomeness!
Wish You Were Here is probably my favourite song though Dark Side of the Moon wins best album for me too.

I've always avoided "the race". It's just silly.

And on my own tangent, back in high school I was the only one of my friends who looked old enough to *not* get ID'd at the liquor store so I was the bootlegger for everyone. It was kind of embarassing when I'd run into teachers or friends of my parents at the liquor store when I was 17. lol

Victoria said...

Holy smokes, I a listening to Wish you Were Here RIGHT NOW! Cooooool n spooky!

Oh my, you were the bootlegger? Hilarious! lol Can you imagine how the adults felt running into you? Did they ever bust you? Heh

Yvonne said...

That is spooky? I hear twilight zone music playing now. Do you hear it? lol

I was never openly busted but there were many awkward looks! LOL

One time my friend's mom was visiting and she said she had to go because she wasn't sure when the liquor store closed. Stupidly, I piped up with "Oh, you don't have to worry - they're open until 11:00pm."
She and my mom both looked at me strangely and then pretended that it never happened. LOL

Victoria said...

Eee hee hee.