Thursday 17 April 2008

Mmmmmm Distraction

I figured that a decent way to stop thinking about Bird for a while would be to

and oh my crapola I just called Smith please don't say anything I just thought it would be nice to check in and see how he was doing and as soon as I started writing this post I called him and now I can't punctuate for some reason, I guess because it's like writing in panic mode or something because that was not my plan when I started writing this post and um, I'm going to stop writing now and breathe into a bag or something because he was on the other line with his Mom and is going to call me back which gives me time to think which isn't good at all thinking is bad I should write while I wait, right? That'll distract me. Look, punctuation! I must have blood flowing back to my brain now. Whew.

Ahem.

I figured that a decent way to stop thinking about Bird for a while would be to think about sweet ex boyfriend situations.

Ok, he called back and we talked and I can safely say I'm over the urge to call and check in on him now. He's fine, now I know. Ok, moving on. No, really. The conversation was fine, moving on.

The ex boyfriend that came to mind is Leo. Leo and I dated for a few months at the end of my grade 12 year. I may be exaggerating the "few months" part, I honestly can't remember. He was a total sweetheart and I had the hugest crush on him forever, even though he was *gasp* a year younger. (I know, high school scandal, right?)

Leo and I ended up in the school musical together so we got to spend a ton of time flirting and whatnot in rehearsals. Little did I know, one of the crew, who happened to be one of Leo's good buddies and rugby teammates had his own little crush on me.

After (what seemed then like) months of dreamily dreaming over Leo and flirting and asking girlfriends to ask his guy friends what he might be thinking, it was our final show and we all headed over to our stage manager's house for the (infamous) after party.

I was a little tipsy (and Mom, by tipsy, I mean giddy with the joy of performing since I didn't touch alcoholic beverages before legal drinking age, of course) when Leo's buddy came up to me and asked if I wanted to go out with him. I'm sure I wasn't as kind as I might have been, but I seem to remember telling him that I couldn't go out with him because I was going out with Leo, since by this point in the night we'd held hands. (Thus cementing our high school romance...if only it were that easy now, eh?)

Now, Leo happened to be standing next to me at this moment and declared that No, we weren't. No dude, nope.

Which, of course, sent me off crying in Made for TV Teen Drama style to the back yard, surrounded by consoling girlfriends and cheap coolers. (Did I say Coolers, Mom? I meant pops, cold pops, we called them "coolers" back then. Ahem)

At some point, Leo showed up and shooed my friends away. He apologized, saying that he hadn't yet talked to his buddy about the fact that he liked me and wanted to be my boyfriend but that since that whole thing had just happened, he'd talked to his friend and it was all good, we could be boyfriend/girlfriend.

I stood up, somewhat staggeringly, and told him that I didn't believe him, he was just a figment of my imagination and I was just making this up.

At which point, the lovely Leo reached out and gently stroked my cheek. "Does *this* feel like a figment of your imagination to you?"he asked, and then leaned in and gave me the sweetest little kiss.

At which point, my already wobbly knees got even weaker.

Looking back, it was a very high school-ish start to our "boyfriend/girlfriend" status and it makes me feel like a big hypocrite for being so disbelieving about the dramas these teen shows Runner Girl forces me to watch I've been watching. I guess I can't claim to have had the most teen drama free youth after re-living that sweet little scenario.

But, it fades somewhat in the telling too, I think. Because, really, it was the sweetest thing. We had a great time together.

Right up until he dumped me.

Because he had to focus on his sports.

Younger guys... pfffft.

7 comments:

Likalia said...

....wha? Sorry I got distracted, what did you say?

Ah high school twas a simpler and strange time.Do any normal people really have the type of drama that goes on in TVland?

That is a cute story, I don't think I have anecdotes like that from my younger dating years. I'm not even sure I have any from any years. *sigh* Maybe I could use some of that TV drama, spice things up. :)

Laura said...

That's crazy Victoria. Know why? Because my high school boyfriend was also a year younger than me. And we also got to know each other while working on a school play together. And we also finally got together officially on closing night of the play.

Luckily however, there was no drama with his best friend!

Victoria said...

Likalia, if you're looking for drama? Holy smokes teen "reality" tv! heheheh

Laura, are you actually me and I just don't know it? ;)

Yvonne said...

a younger man in high school? You scandalous wench indeed! ;)

It is a sweet story! (Too bad about the ending though. ah well.)

btw, my alcohol tangent from my comment on the previous post was supposed to go in here. >;-D

Victoria said...

I know, a grade 12 dating a grade 11? OH MY!!!! ;)

Oooh, a tangent comment? yay! Must go read!

Des said...

That's a sweet story (until you got to the part of him dumping you). Minor detail. Now I am going to reminisce now. :)

Victoria said...

Yes, the dumping part is the only part of the story that's not adorable! (So we can just ignore that part, yay!)