Friday 9 May 2008

G is for Grandparents


I didn't have Grandparents around when I was growing up.

It's not something I ever missed, particularly, because I didn't have anything to compare it to.

I've talked a couple of times here about not knowing about having kids, but lately, the only time I find myself wishing I had a husband and baby on the way is when I think of my parents. It sounds odd, but sometimes I think I'd like to have a child just so my Mom and Dad could be Grandparents to my baby.

I'm figuring that having a child isn't something you do for someone else though. But I guess I hope that if I do decide to have children that my parents are around to enjoy it.

Since I don't have any significant Grandparent memories to share, other than talking to my Grandma every Christmas and Mother's Day, what are your best memories with your Grandparents?

5 comments:

Delton said...

I was lucky enough to have 3 of my grandparents still alive and in my life throughout my childhood.

What I really wanted to add though, was that some of my happiest memories of the final couple years of my dad's life were seeing him with my kids. He was already pretty sick from fighting cancer, so the times with them he would just light up.

It was especially with my daughter, the youngest of his 5 grandkids and the only girl. She was just a toddler, but the pics I have of him holding her are some wonderful memories.

There was a time when he took my son out into his workshop in the back of his garage, and then they went for a short walk through the woods behind the house. When they got back, my son went on and on about all the interesting stuff that grandpa was telling him about, and the pride on my dad's face was priceless as well.

Seeing him interact with both my kids, although it certainly wasn't a case of "having a child for someone else", it was just icing on the cake. Thanks for leading me on this stroll down memory lane.

dilling said...

just Gramma on Dad's side...she was the rock in my life...so many things remind me of her that i think of her nearly every day...
garden dirty hands, cocoa butter, catching garter snakes, roses, boston ferns, warm dusty raspberries right off the vine, the ocean, long walks in nature, macaroni and cheese, snow days, summer....they are all "best" memories. Every single one of them.

Likalia said...

Growing up I basically only had my Mum's Mum in my life and remember very little (stupid bad memory) but I do remember playing gin, her teaching me to knit (or attempting to), all her African violets. When she passed away I was grateful that I got her piano because I also have fond memories of sitting in her house tinkering away on it. :)

Likalia said...

ps - thanks for the link. :)

Victoria said...

Delton, that's awesome.....

Cool, Dilling. : )

Gin's a good game to know, Likalia. And, you're welcome! ;)