Thursday 22 May 2008

J is for Jethro Tull. And. . . ?

For reasons that won't make sense to anyone but me, Jethro Tull's "To Cry You a Song" once saved my life. Right song, right lyrics, right time.

Most people know Aqualung, but my favourite Jethro Tull song is one I (strangely enough) only heard for the first time this year (go figure) "Thick as a Brick." It's a song I feel like playing when I'm really annoyed at someone for being a less than decent human being. Plus, it's pretty damn awesome.


Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

So, here's where you come in, my lovelies.

Who's your favourite "J" band or artist, and, if you had to pick only one of their songs, which would it be?

10 comments:

McGone said...

Jethro Tull will forever be thought of as the band that took the Best Heavy Metal award from Metallica (back before they became the horrible cartoon characters of late), just because it was so damn odd. Because nothing says "Metal!" like a flute.

J artist - Off the top of my head, I'll go with Jeff Buckley and "Lover You Should Have Come Over."

dilling said...

I like the Songs from the Wood album(Jethro Tull) best of their stuff....

I don't know how to pick any favorite music, too much stuff to choose..how do you choose? I don't have a favorite colour, either...
Josh Joplin, I am Not the Only Cowboy or Far Away
Jack Johnson, Taylor
Janis Joplin, Bobby McGee(By KK)
Jesus Jones, Real real real

(sorry, I can't pick just one, so I just kept it to double J's or we'd be here all day...of course, I will be here all day youtubing J artists now)

Don said...

I'll second McGone on Jeff Buckley, but I'll got with his cover of "Hallelujah" (originally written by Leonard Cohen).

I'll mention a great song called "Just Like Honey" by the Jesus and Mary Chain as well.

Victoria said...

McGone, it's the flute that really does it :)

Dilling, some things are hard to favourite. Sorry to start you off on a massive J search! I love your double J choices though :D

Don, that's my fave Jeff Buckley as well. *sniff*

Yvonne said...

This is completely embarrassing to admit, but for the longest time I thought Jethro Tull was a person and not an entire band. >;-D

Victoria said...

Um......ME TOO! :)

Yvonne said...

hee!
I feel better now. ;)

Victoria said...

Yay! ;)

TheManOnStilts said...

Lately, I would have to say, Janis Joplin, John Lennon, and of course the one and only Jeff Mangum.

Victoria said...

OOoh, good calls :)