Wednesday 13 August 2008

3 AM, 4 AM and 5 AM


That's when I was woken up last night.

Woken right up. Wide awake. Bolted upright and switch on the light immediately awake.

By what, you ask?

Mosquitoes.

It's the craziest thing. I can be dead awake, but one of those little things come buzzing by and I'm UP!

And let me tell you, they're hard to find, so it's not as if I'm waking up, getting one and falling back asleep in thirty seconds, oh no.

Plus, I didn't get the second one in time.

You should see the welts on my arm. Make an "OK" symbol with your hand? That circle is the size of my bites.

We'll just pretend they don't itch so that I don't scratch my arm off, shall we?

The oddest thing was finding three all at once the last time I was woken up. It was at that point that I decided I really really needed my sleep so I put in earplugs and hoped I wouldn't get any more bites.

Hence the lump on the side of my cheek.

Awesome.

7 comments:

Likalia said...

Ouch!

It is strange how instantly we react to that buzzing noise. It is really creepy though.

Ms Behaviour said...

Mosquitoes in Victoria? Weird! I have outrageous allergic reactions to mosquitoes too. Have done my entire life. Doesn't matter if they're Asian, Indian or North American mosquitoes. I get puffy and itchy and friggin miserable. This year, I started taking allergy meds to bring the swelling down and it seems to help. Maybe because I scratch less? Someone told me that a daily teaspoon of apple cider vinegar is a natural insect repellent so you could try that? I haven't yet only because what the heck am I going to put a teaspoon of that stuff in? Blech.

Anonymous said...

They woke me repeatedly in my hostel room last night too. Little b'stards that they are, there was a room full of people, why did thet keep buzzing past me?

Luckily the bites are small and not itchy, as I have them top to toe...

- Dominic

Courtney K said...

every so often a mosquito will find its way into my house. i am a pretty heavy sleeper but my goodness when they come, they do NOT leave and they always seem to buzz straight into my ear. thus creating reason for me, half sleeping to slap myself in my face repeatedly.
basically, i feeeelll your pain

Victoria said...

Likalia, maybe the sound wouldn't be creepy if, say, when they bit us, good things happened! OK. That's officially my weirdest thought in a while.


EB, mosquitoes in Victoria for sure! In fact, I don't know anywhere they aren't! If you know of this place, let me know, I'm there! ;)
I'm not sure about the apple cider vinegar either, because, yeah, what would you put it in? heh


Dominic, maybe you smell better to them than the others? Did no one else get bit?

Calla, they do have that ability to fly right into/over/around your ear, eh? Sometimes if I'm really tired I wave my hand around and duck under the sheets. This, sadly, doesn't work to stop them ;)

Milai said...

Hello!! I'm now a qualified mosquitoe's murderer!! I spend so many nigths awake, watching there behavior. Now, i grab my bedside table book and kill them so i can sleep in peace. Death shouldn´t give me peace, but in this case it gives!

Victoria said...

That's so true! I usually use the closest book, or sometimes the bottom of my slipper :)