Thursday 14 August 2008

Cool

I haven't been a huge fan of the Olympics since they split them to be every two years. (There was always such excitement for me when it was an Olympic Year!)

And I wasn't particularly interested in this year's Olympics either.

Until my friend told me that cbc.ca is streaming the Olympics. Live. For free. On the internet!

And even cooler than that? They have, like, 8 feeds you can choose from.

So, the other night, I got to see professional* fencing for the first time.

And let me just say this about that: HOLY, COOL!





* I had a friend who fenced when I was in University. I watched him fence once. I remember it being stinky. As in... it smelled like the inside of a hockey bag stinky. So it was really cool to see "real" fencers fence. Oh, and? It really made me wonder how they used to judge fencing. See, now it's all electronic and looks a little like Laser Tag. So maybe they used to judge it by, like, who bled more?

PS I think the Olympics are going to rock for me this year because I'll be able to choose from whatever cool/unusual sport I want according to whatever's available at the time. Hmmmm, mixed badminton or women's windsurfing....decisions, decisions. See, this is stuff I'd never have been able to get to see with plain old cable tv. So, Internet? I love you!

7 comments:

Ms Behaviour said...

Cable tv is a dinosaur. I have rabbit ears plugged into my computer (tv tuner and software) so I have been recording everything and watching it in fast forward. Honestly, CBC anchors are so boring. If I have to listen to them yakkety yak, I will turn it off. Also, instant replay! As many times as I want! You know what else is cooler when watched that way? Reality tv. Last Comic Standing. Deal or No Deal. World Poker Tour. Okay so that last one is not reality tv. But it's way better when you can flip to the action and fast forward through all the "we'll find out... right after the break!" Grrr Howie Mandel.

Anonymous said...

I havent even watched a minute of it. I am so embarassed. Didnt even know it was on! The tv is never on in the summer and apparently I dont read the news either. bah.

Victoria said...

EB, rabbit ears plugged into your computer? Wow. Suddenly I feel like a dinosaur! :)

SOTJ, I won't tell! ;)

Ms Behaviour said...

Okay fine! The rabbit ears are not exactly high tech! And I only get 6 channels! When it's overcast! But it's free and I'm a grad student :)

Victoria said...

Oh but dude(tte)? What I'm saying is that I have no idea how to even *do* that, therefore I'M a technological dinosaur and you're way way cooler than I am! :D

Ms Behaviour said...

Lol, it's easy! I wrote this entire long comment and then it occurred to me that you didn't actually ask me for all that info so I put it on my own blog and I shut up now! Happy Friday :)

Victoria said...

Cool! I'll have to go check it out :)
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!