Tuesday 30 September 2008

Sharing


D'you know what's funny/great/sometimes frustrating about art? (And yes, in this case, I'm daring to refer to my own photographs as art. Work with me on this one. I also think that writing is art. Just not mine. . . ) It's when you do something that you love or think is great and no one else responds to it the same way.

Like this picture.

I love it. Love it! I think it's super cool. But it's been up on flickr for a while now and hardly anyone's looked at it. Weird, eh?

It's all subjective. And that makes it cool.

Art, that is. Photography.

I never know why photos that I love don't particularly (necessarily) strike anyone else the same way. And I always wonder about it. It is that the photo has personal significance to the taker? Is it that the taker knows what went in to it? Is it that we all have personal preferences and tastes?

Or is it all of the above and a little bit more?

What do you think?

4 comments:

McGone said...

Part of it is the presentation - people see a picture with a post and they may think you just did a google search like so many others do and just swiped the first relevant picture. They may not always think to click on the pic and go to your account and see that you put thought and effort into the visual.

Yvonne said...

It's always interesting to see what people like! I've seen so many pictures that have gotten absurd amounts of praise yet don't really tickle me. And others that I find phenomenal that seem to go unnoticed.
It's always fun "snooping" through peoples' favourites on Flickr. ;)

Anonymous said...

It'd make a good postcard!

Victoria said...

Fair point McGone :)

Thanks Tod!

Yvonne, isn't that interesting when you take a shot that a ton of people love, yet when you look at it you just kind of go... "eh" :)

Dominic, a postcard from the fair perhaps? ;)