Monday 22 September 2008

To the Girl at the Gym

Dear You,

I really need to apologize, even if it turns out that I'm just imagining things.

The other day, when you got on that treadmill and I glanced over at you, I was only glancing because I felt you staring at me. So it was kind of weird when you did the smile and wave thing. And so I just gave you the "polite" smile back and looked away. Because I didn't recognize you and I also didn't know for sure if you were waving at me or at someone on another treadmill.

So I apologize if you did know me and I should know you. I feel kind of bad because out of the corner of my eye, I saw you shaking your head and I imagined you saying something like "she doesn't remember me" to your friend. But maybe I would remember you if I saw you outside of the gym because I do kind of totally space out in the gym and the other day was no exception.

See, work's really stressful right now and so my mind was on other things and then I saw you and smiled and right away felt like you thought I should know you.

So, sorry if I should have known you and sorry I didn't do the whole "point at myself and say 'me?' thing" to see if you were, indeed pointing at me and not someone behind me. And, um, if, indeed you were pointing to someone else? Pretty pretty please ignore this letter.

Thanks.

Yours embarrassed either way,
Victoria (the dorky)

PS Ooops.

4 comments:

Ms Behaviour said...

You know how I grew out of the shyness? I realized that nobody but me remembers the stupid dorky things that I do after about 90 seconds and the only person that gets beat up and berated over them is me. Don't get me wrong, I still berate myself for this type of thing but I'm learning to be gentler with myself. So now, I just do the big smile and ask how the other person is doing because, even if they blow me off, at least I've tried to make the connection and if I feel stupid afterward, it's over having attempted to be less shy. So that's something to be proud of and if that person thinks I'm weird, so be it. That's one of the good things about the mellowing of old age :)

Victoria said...

You know what EB? That's a totally awesome point!

Yvonne said...

It's also possible she has no shyness issues and was hitting on you. >;-D

Victoria said...

I guess that's possible but I don't think it was a "hitting on you" kind of smile ;)