Saturday 11 October 2008

Glowing


When I go to Luminara, I always wear glowsticks. Usually, I put a couple around my wrists and neck, but I always like to find some different ones too. One year I found earrings, the other year a triple-finger ring! Cool stuff. Plus, it glows in the dark!

I'm rather a fan of glowsticks, they always seem magical to me. I mean, you take this plastic thing and you "crack" it a few times and then give it a little shake and suddenly? Ooooooooh! Glowy! I love me some glowsticks.

So it was kind of funny the other day when I was going through one of my drawers and found a glowstick refill. It was a tiny little one; small enough to fit into a ring I wore this year. But since the ring was already gone, I didn't need the refill.

So what did I do? I cracked it of course! And that night when I went to bed it was still glowing.

Not wanting to sleep with a scary glowy thing in my room I decided to throw it out, but as I was walking (in the dark) to my bathroom to throw it out, I decided to crack it a few more times to see if I could get it to glow any brighter. Crack, crack, crack and ooooh glowy!

But then I threw it out and turned around to get back in bed when ACK! Glowing fingers!

I guess the thin stick had actually broken when I re-cracked it and for whatever reason, it hadn't occurred to me that the glow stuff, was actually... you know... maybe not something that should escape the plastic container. So there I stood, half freaked out that my fingers were glowing, and half thinking how damn cool it was that my fingers were glowing!

I washed it off pretty quick, but there was a moment there when I wondered if my fingers might stay glowy. Or if the glow stuff might transfer onto the soap and then my sink and oh my.

But, yes. For a very cool moment there I was a (slightly freaked out) human glowstick!

P.S. Don't try this at home.

3 comments:

Ms Behaviour said...

Oooh, you were almost radioactive! It looks like the chemicals in glow sticks won't kill you unless you ingest it but hydrogen peroxide and phenol are pretty nasty. Whenever phenol and I spend a day in the lab together, I come home with a wicked headache.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightstick

Anonymous said...

There WAS a claim a while ago that if you drank the contents of a glowstick, it would lead to glowing urine.

Never tried it myself, but it sounds like a good way to freak people out if it works :)

It'd make a really cool "invisible ink" tho - write on the paper with the clear stuff, then give it a spray of the other and see the message appear in all its glowing glory

Victoria said...

EB, I'm glad I didn't read that article the night I had my glowy fingers! Whew. Chemicals...ick! ;)

Dominic, I don't think I'd be drinking that stuff, even to freak out my friends! lol