Thursday 9 October 2008

The Stuff of Dreams


I had this dream the other night (morning?) and it has stuck with me enough that I figure it must mean something.

Or not.

But maybe if I tell you guys about it I can stop thinking about it and you all can figure out what it means.

Or something. So here goes:

I'm in Guatemala. This place has those huge tree covered hills from The Beach everywhere, (which, yes, I know wasn't Guatemala, don't blame me, blame my subconscious) and the city we're in is nestled right in the middle of them all. Really, the hills were massive. And gorgeous. So I'm there with my parents in the hotel at night (and I'm my age but a teenager and my parents are the age they were when I was a teenager) and it's all gunfire warzone outside and I'm at the window ducking bullets because I'm scared but there's nowhere else to go.

And then it's morning and we (now my brother's there too, in the same kind-of-a-teenager mode) are driving through the city and there's no sign of the fighting which is normal because our travel agent wouldn't have let us go there if it wasn't safe, and everyone knows the city is safe in the daytime it's only at night that it's dangerous.

Plus, we're there because I'm competing in the world's for figure skating (people? I can barely skate) and we're driving to the place when we stop for food and in the place where my Dad's paying for the treats (chocolate bars and chips and pastries) I ask for a 7Up and the guy behind the counter speaks in Spanish and I can understand him but can't speak Spanish, only French, so then we communicate with him speaking Spanish and me answering in French and this guy loves this because usually people only speak English and he laughs and tells his friend that I want a flat 7Up and grenadine like a Shirley Temple and I say YES! A Shirley Temple and we laugh, but my brother's mad (cuz he's a teenager) and I know that this guy will make sure we don't get shot by the gangs that night because I wasn't just another English speaking tourist and then I got woken up by the phone (in real life) and that's all I know.

So, go on. Analyze away!

Weird, eh?

6 comments:

DN said...

Interesting dream Victoria :)

I myself had a dream couple of months back. I was lying down on the side of a grassy hill at night with somebody I feel very comfortable with. We weren't talking. We just looked up to the starry night sky and just be. All around us was chaotic, like there was a war or something. People were running, screaming, shouting, crying. But we were oblivious to it all. We were like in our own peaceful bubble.

It was the most amazing dream I've ever had.
And I'm the kind who dreams almost every other night.

Victoria said...

Wow, that sounds like an awesome dream! :)

Aleks said...

I think you were just jonesing for some coffee...:)

Victoria said...

Hmmmmmm..... could be? ;)

DN said...

It was!
And I keep telling this dream to people.
That's how good it was! :)

Victoria said...

Woo hoo! :D