Saturday 22 November 2008

Tell Me This...

If we're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, why do we spend so much time making ourselves look as attractive as possible?

Do guys really like the whole very made up, swanky (or revealing) clothes and styled hair?

And guys, I don't know what the equivalent is for us women...men wearing suits? Hair like Dr. McDreamy? I don't know, feel free to tell me.

I don't know, I'm just curious. Because part of me, when I see women all makeup-ed and in their best clothes, carrying their expensive purses with their styled hair, cringes, but another part of me feels like I let myself down by not presenting myself as well as they do.

Maybe I should be getting up each morning and spending the hour (or more) I know some women do.

So, really, how much is too much and how much is too little? (Because I've seen makeover shows and know that some women take "minimal makeup and hair" a little too far.)

Maybe it's a personality thing. Maybe I'm just not a "big hair and makeup" kind of gal.

So we're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, I know that. . . but knowing that people do at least look at covers, how do I know if I'm making mine. . . shiny enough.

Because sometimes I think I'm not.

And then other times I just don't think it matters.

But maybe it should.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, speaking purely for myself, the move visibly-made-up a face is, the less attractive I generally find it. Seriously, if I want a woman who looks artificial, there's plenty of cheap inflatable options ;o)

Having said that, it's fair to say that a woman who's made an effort with her appearance will be considered more attractive than her identical twin who's clearly not bothered. And that doesn't have to mean make-up.

Possibly that's something to do with the confidence that looking your best can give you. I'm not a huge fan of ironing (is that "pressing" in American?) but I admit to feeling a bit better about myself on the mornings where I've showered, shaved, and put on a crumple-free shirt than I do on mornings where I can't be bothered with any of the above.

All my shirts are on hangers, wrinkle-free. It's tragic. I'm a disgrace to bachelors everywhere :o)

At the end of the day, tho, people wouldn't find it necessary to say "You shouldn't judge a book by its cover" if it weren't for the fact that we all do

Victoria said...

Fair enough. Good point(s).

(I call it ironing)

Ms Behaviour said...

I think it's naive to assume that this sort of judgment doesn't occur, especially where first impressions are concerned. I barely notice my good friends' appearances anymore but a new guy, yes, I will notice if his shoes are ratty, if his shirt is wrinkled, if he hasn't shaved or smells bad. I think that self-confidence also has a lot to do with appearance. I know I feel better on the days that I have blow dried and am wearing appropriate clothing for the occasion, whatever that may be. I'm wearing purple cords and a grey fleece to go hang out with girlfriend and baby but I would dress differently if I was going out to dinner. I think that you know when you've made an effort and it shows in your body language. And ultimately, that's really what matters. If that means eyeshadow and matching purse and shoes, so be it. I think those people that overdo it are overcompensating. Trying to fill a void unsuccessfully with the "stuff". You know what I mean?

Victoria said...

Yep, I know what you mean EB!

Yvonne said...

well, from the bits and pieces I've seen of you, you're stunning!

To me, make-up is a facade and I have better things to do with my time and money than to make myself look fake.

My sister once had a friend who wouldn't let anyone see her without make-up. She would wait until her boyfriend fell asleep to take it off and would get up to "put on her face" before he woke up. Talk about high-maintenance and unnecessary stress!

Victoria said...

Awwww thanks! :)

That story of your sisters friend makes me sad. What a way to live!