Tuesday 16 December 2008

Saturday Night's Alright


So it snowed Saturday evening, (and yes, this photo is old too, but ain't it pretty?) and although I was enjoying sitting on my couch with the blinds open watching the snow fall, by 10:30 I was starting to think of bed. (After all, I may have left the staff party by midnight, but I didn't actually get to sleep Friday night until close to 3 am. Go figure.) I was a little surprised, then, to get a text message from Dee, my girlfriend / co-worker who lives nearby (and is totally awesome) telling me that her friend, a cute single guy who currently lives in Vancouver but may be moving to Victoria was over visiting with a bunch of other friends and did I want to stop by?

Now, ordinarily it might not have been worth my while to get all dressed up and drive over just to hang out with people, but I looked outside and instantly saw an excuse to go for a walk in the snow! So I put on my new jeans and suited up for the snow and walked in a Winter Wonderland to Dee's place. In fact, she and her friend (insert name here) met me half way and we had a mini snowball fight. It was perfect and what Winter's supposed to be all about!

After I peeled off my waterproof pants and scarf and toque and mittens (etc. etc.) we all hung out for a while; some of the boys playing video games and Dee, (insert name here) and I talking away in the kitchen.

They all were much drunker than I was, and so when they decided to head downtown to the bars, I decided to take myself home. Night time when it's snowing is one of the only times I feel safe walking by myself. It's light out since the snow reflects all the streetlights and I figure most of the crazy people are off hiding somewhere warm. And in this town, most of the people you see out and about walking on a snowy night are excited that it's snowing and want to make the most of it. So it was a nice, if fairly short, walk home.

Plus, it's kind of fun to watch people who aren't used to driving in the snow try to drive.

But anyhow, the weird thing is is that I found myself thinking about Dee's friend and I'm not really sure why. Like, on Sunday, I found myself wondering what he was doing and if he was heading back to Vancouver or not. Which is weird, because I'm not sure I thought much of him one way or the other when we hung out, and I didn't even talk to him for that long, an hour maybe?

I don't really think I'm saying anything here, I'm more just observing. Out loud. I'm sure it'll pass.

I think one of the other thoughts that I had was how easy it would have been to have gone out to the bars with them all and had a few drinks and flirt with and maybe even make out with (insert name here) and that that's what I would have done before. It's certainly what I did with the rest of my exes and isn't what I plan on doing anymore. But maybe there's a part of me that's wondering what it would have been like to wake up to someone else in my bed Sunday morning. Someone I didn't know anything about. Been there, done that, moved on.

Not that that was my reason for not going out with them on Saturday; I didn't *not* go out with them on purpose.

But anyway... it's good to have girlfriends who are still looking out for me when it comes to single guys. And it's good to be able to play in the snow with people who love it as much as I do.

Here's hoping for more.

Snow, that is.

Although, I won't say no to more single guys too if that's in the forecast.

10 comments:

Esperanza said...

"P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway."

YOU ROCK...lol :)

Laura said...

I hope this guy moves to Victoria and you get to hang out with him again, if only for the blog fodder it will provide :P You should check out my latest post about one of my mom's friends trying to "look out for me" and hook me up with a single guy!

Anonymous said...

Ooohh I love potential crushes that get you feeling that butterfly feeling. I hope he works to Victoria so you can see what it might develop into, but until then enjoy the snow!

Victoria said...

Well thanks Esperanza! lol ;)

Laura I agree, good potential blog fodder! Her!

Reeders, I hope so too and I sure will enjoy the snow!! ; D

Anonymous said...

Ooo...I'd give my right arm to have that butterfly, 'maybe-crush" feeling again. It's been too long! It's nice that you have friends looking out for you. My friends don't know anyone single (no one they'd set me up with, anyway!) LOL.

Victoria said...

SG, most of my friends don't know single guys either, so I doubly appreciate my friend looking out for me! :)

Yvonne said...

Sounds like it was a fun night and you made the right choices. ;)

Victoria said...

It was, and I think I did :)

Anonymous said...

I stumbled onto your blog, read the post, and felt like I should leave something. I'm sure we don't know each other.

But,

Hi.

Victoria said...

Well, cool. Hi