Friday 9 January 2009

Discovery


As I mentioned the other day, I always clean up (and out) my place on New Year's Eve. It stems from a familial cultural tradition that's basically about getting rid of the old to let the new in.

I'd been with my family up until about 8pm on the 31st and I got home and cleaned for three hours straight. I dusted and swept, I bagged up clothes and things that hadn't been used or worn in a while, I opened all the windows and, under the instructions of my Uncle whom I'd spoken to in Scotland a few hours earlier, I opened my front door to let the old year out and the new year in.

Another thing that I did was to clear off my counters and tables.

See, I usually have things that I'm working on or going to work on sitting in a relatively neat little pile on my table, and I have my dishes washed and drying on a rack on my kitchen counter.

For New Year's, I put the rack away up on top of a cabinet and I put the papers and books and to do lists away in an old card box on a chair under the table.

And let me tell you, I love it.

I love how simple and sleek and clean everything looks.

I mean, my place is usually neat and orderly, but cleaning off the main surfaces? It feels like a breath of fresh air and I'm just loving it.

There was something so wonderful about getting up on the 1st to a place that looked, clean (and I'm not talking about no dirt clean, I mean clean lines / clean and simple clean) that I just loved and that felt like such a relief to my brain. It's calming. And easy. And I love it.

So it was a funny discovery, but apparently I really like things to not be there. If you know what I mean.

Clean.





P.S. Thanks for not mentioning the fact that I somehow managed to use a photo twice in the same week! (Now changed so you'll never notice. Except I just told you. D'oh.)

4 comments:

Dugout Daisy said...

I know exactly what you mean! I put all my papers and random things in boxes and put those on shelves and it makes everything look so neat! Having a clear surface to tables and counters and desks and all of that, is just so refreshing! What a great way to start the new year!
oh, and I do the open door thing too! ;)

Victoria said...

It is totally refreshing! :D

And, yay for the open door thing :)

Jonathan Beckett said...

The problem comes when you are a tidy/minimal person, and your other half is the worst hoarding, messy, cluttery person in the known universe.

I leave the house in a tidy state before heading off to work each day, and return home to an apparent scene of an FBI search.

Every. Day.

Victoria said...

Oh my!