Wednesday 7 January 2009

Licensed


So I had to renew my driver's license the other day (and, holy smokes, do you know how often I start a post with "so"? and even though I know I do I just can't seem to stop?) (and yes, that does mean it's my birthday somewhere around these here parts, but no, it doesn't mean I'm going to tell you when, spy confidentiality and all, y'all.) and it was probably the most fun I've had doing it.

First of all, my local license place thingy is all modernized from the last time I was there and I had to sit with my numbered ticket and wait for the flashing light sign to call me over and there were arrows and flashing signs and buzzing beepers and oh my goodness I felt like I was on a game show. (Come on big money!)

And then it was *totally* adorable to watch the young people coming in all thrilled to be taking their test for their learner's permit. I saw this one girl with a smile so big I thought she was going to burst. I wanted to go right up and hug her, but I restrained myself and just smiled back at her instead. (I totally hope she aced it!)

When I went up to get my photo taken, for the first time (I swear!) since I was 16, the lady asked me if my weight was still the same. "One hundred and twenty five pounds still?" she asked, and I just started laughing. "Um. No." I had to admit, thinking that I'd jinxed myself on the drive over by wondering if I'd get to keep my 16 year old weight on my license for another five years.

So still amused that I'd been caught out in my sneakiness (because I mean, it's not my fault no one ever asked me in previous years is it? What, was I supposed to interrupt them and say, oh, by the way, I've put on a teeny bit of weight in the last, oh, say, five or ten years?), I went over to stand in the photo spot and the woman said "OK, and make a neutral face" and as I was mulling over to myself not only how to do that but *why* I had to do that (are we going the way of the passport now?) the woman behind her said "Did you just ask her to make an unnatural face?" and I burst out laughing just as the camera flashed.

Needless to say, I had to have my photo retaken again after that and am hoping my new (more accurate) license arrives soon because it's kind of weird going around without photo I.D.

Even for a super spy like me!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life imitates art? :o)

(And the spooky thing is, the captcha for this comment is "calin" which is only one "V" away from the cartoon...)

Anonymous said...

I hate my license picture. I hate my passport picture. You not only started the post with "so" but you also said "holy smokes".

Victoria said...

Dominic, I love Calvin and Hobbes! And that one's exactly what it was like!

(ooooh, and spoooooky!)

M.D.T.R, mine just came in the mail and it's fine. (better than last one though) Sure wish I was smiling, not loving that (or the passport no smiler either). "so, holy smokes" heh

dilling said...

I just got my BC license...and the neutral face thing was weird...but actually SO MUCH better than my crazy-eyed smile on my Washington state license...although I do look just the slghtest bit morose. they didn't ask my weight...thankfully.
maybe they guessed...i am gonna go check right now.

Yvonne said...

A super-spy without photo ID...doesn't that make you a Super-Duper Spy? ;)

Victoria said...

Dilling,that'd be hilarious if they guessed your weight, eh? That's good that the neutral face is better than a crazy eyed smile face, but still, I like smiling! ;)

Yvonne, maybe so! Like, no ID at all so I don't exist! ooooooooh!

Name: Ali said...

Lol! This is really cute!
I know some of my friends have really funny license photos. Never heard of having to retake them!

Victoria said...

I wonder what I might have looked like if they'd kept the one where I burst out laughing? :)

Anonymous said...

if i worked at the dmv, i'd guess people's weights - that would be a great way of getting great reaction faces.

beaming smiles, or, "i'm going to jump over that counter and wring your neck" faces.

Victoria said...

Holy smokes, would it ever! *giggle*