Tuesday 13 January 2009

Seriously?

I just set off my smoke detector again.

Cooking eggs.

I didn't even burn them, apparently my smoke detector's really sensitive, and no I don't have a vent over my stove yes I live in an older apartment why do you ask?

So I think I'm going to attach a sticky note to my frying pan that says "take batteries out of smoke detector before use" because trying to not burn food while grabbing a chair to take down the wailing smoke alarm and hoping your neighbours aren't freaked out isn't really as much fun as it sounds.

5 comments:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I had an immediate image of you screaming at eggs burning on the pan, smoke all around...

But that's so not what happened, right? :)

Stupid sensitive detectors.

At least you can feel super safe that it'll go off at the slightest whiff of smoke. :)

Fabulously Broke in the City

"Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver."

Anonymous said...

When I was at university, our smoke detectors would even go off when people used deodorant.

On the few occasions when we had actual smoke-from-burning-food, however, they never once went off.

The flat I was living in until a year or so ago had smoke detectors that went off whenever we cooked fried food. When a heater caught fire, not a peep.

Whatever the adverts may say, I've never yet encountered a smoke detector that was anything other than worthless.

Victoria said...

FB, noooooo, of course that's not what happened! ;) Ahem. (I, uh, may have said a swear word though!) And yeah, I'm hoping it means the things sensitive, but I'm not going to burn something just to find out! heh

Dominic, spray deodorant I'm assuming? Cuz if it went off when people were using the roll on kind, that'd just be weird! ;)

Jonathan Beckett said...

We need to put the batteries back in ours. It went off a few times one evening (months ago) and we disabled it.

Victoria said...

It's scary when they go off because of the noise, but yeah, maybe put those batteries back in :)