Tuesday 10 March 2009

Drifting


People often ask me why I love snow so much and I'm not always able to come up with a great answer.

"I just do, I always have!" is usually what comes to mind.

But I paid special attention to it this weekend, knowing full well that it's the last snow I'll be seeing for a few months around here. (Well, we do often get an Easter mini-snow in Victoria, but this may have been the early version of it for all I know.)

One of the things I love about snow is how it falls. Because it doesn't *fall* the way rain does. Rain just comes down. Straight down. Drops down.

Snow floats down. Or drifts down. Or sometimes it swirls or the wind blows it back up for a moment, but it's not heavy.

Snow comes out of the sky magically. Every single time. And when I watch it coming out of the sky I can never quite believe it's happening because it's just so beautiful and magical and mystical.

So, that's one of the things I love about snow. I love how it doesn't just fall down out of the sky, it magics down.

11 comments:

Kanadisches Mädchen said...

I have been searching for a way to describe why I too love snow so much and you have put the perfect words down. Thanks!

Victoria said...

Awww, thanks! Always glad to share snow love :)

Mark said...

(Sigh) The closest I've come to snow in the last few years has been scraped out of my freezer. I'm jealous.

Ms Behaviour said...

I think you love snow because you don't get dumped on for 11 months of the year like we do here in Ontario! Okay, I just jealous because I don't live out wet anymore. Could you imagine if global warming actually cools down the wet coast?? You guys would set the record for snowfall instead of rainfall! (And by "you guys" I mean everyone from you all the way up to Rupert and beyond. Sigh, I miss Rupert).

Victoria said...

Sorry to make you jealous Mark ;)

It'd be crazy if our rain was snow EB! :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have a question for you: Would you rather be told you were "beautiful" or "hot"?

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

And by the way, I love snow too. We don't get enough of it in this town (I'm from Victoria).

Yvonne said...

I love how quiet everything is when it's snowing. It's like being in another world. ;)

Victoria said...

Anonymous, I'd most often rather be told I'm beautiful. (But if in a steady relationship, then "hot" works too) :) And no, we don't get enough snow here!

It's totally like another world Y!

Laurene said...

i am living in a tropical country--i have been since birth!--and i haven't experienced snow yet. :[ i've been to the the cold parts of US, sure, but my vacation time is always in spring. how you describe snow makes me want to move there!

someday, someday, i will taste my first snowflake. :] maybe after i graduate and school won't be getting in the way of a good vacation.

Victoria said...

I love snow Wednesday, I do, but I also love the feeling of the air and water and sun in tropical places! I hope you enjoy your first taste of snow when you do get it!