Tuesday 9 June 2009

Indeed

I read this post a while ago on The Pioneer Woman and a quote in it has totally stuck with me.

In the post, the woman writing it, Heather, talks about how "experiential knowledge alters behaviour*." And it's so true.

She mentions how once she'd worked in retail, she no longer leaves clothes un-hung or messy in the change room. I'm the same.

My friends who've worked in restaurants always tell me that they treat the servers differently than they did before they'd had that job.

Maybe if we'd all done a variety of jobs we wouldn't be so quick to snap at a busy waiter or to leave a pile of un-hung clothes in the dressing room. What a perfect way to put it though: "experiential knowledge alters behaviour." Once we know, we change.

*The added "u" in behaviour is all mine, not Heather's. I know that means I'm mis-quoting, but I can't help it!

8 comments:

The Last Single Girl said...

I used to work at a hotel. Now I leave hotels a little more tidy. I try to pile up the towels in one pile. Try to make sure trash is put away and lights are all turned off. Just a lot of little things I learned working in a hotel.

dilling said...

i have been a waittress, worked hotels, coffee shops, resorts, etc....
my mom still works for jc penneys, into her mid 70's and i ache for her carrying cartloads of clothes out the dressing rooms....
if we could all just take care of our manners, eh? it's really not so hard to take five minutes to feel better about ourselves....
funny how some of us get it, and some of us don't....
also? my word verification is Prine...which rocks my songwriter world.

Jim said...

No no no no. The contact page on that blog gives an Oklahoma address. You can't impose Canadian English on middle America.

Victoria said...

TLSG, that's good info to know :)

Dilling, I do wonder about those who don't get "it".....
And? Nice word verification word! ;)

Jim, aaaah, but that is the glorious power of having my own blog! Mwaaah haha hah aha hahahahah!

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

A six-month stint as a waitress in a chain restaurant has left me forever changed. I'm a way better tipper than before, and I wasn't a bad tipper before. I'd rather give an extra dollar or two and make someone feel better about themselves for a few minutes than keep the money for something else.

Victoria said...

True! :)

Adorably Bitter said...

Oh, I can totally relate... Being a dancer and have been working on my first costumes myself, I will never ever snark at a seamstress again for the time or money they take to do their work.

Victoria said...

Good point!