Friday 17 July 2009

Um, Yay?

So, I just had what I guess is the first good part about having Celiac disease.

See, I've never liked getting the flouride treatment at the dentist. Nev. Er.

Not when I was a kid and that gooey stuff had to sit in the trays and certainly not as an adult (by age only, not by maturity level, I know, I know) with the swishy stuff that gak, gah, I don't even want to think about because ick.

I actually used to refuse the stuff because when I'd accidentally swallow it (which is hard not to do damnit) I'd feel so gross after.

Well, when I told the hygenist this time that I'd just found out about having Celiac she told me that that meant I couldn't have the flouride as their formula has gluten in it in some form.

I did a happy dance in the chair my friends.

And then I let her clean my teeth.

So yeah, there's at least one benefit to this whole thing; no more evil flouride blechy swishing stuff!

Let's just hope my teeth don't all fall out now.

(I kid. I kid.)


(I hope)


Updated to add: Look at this post I just found. Ha!

8 comments:

Dominic said...

..what's the fluoride treatment?

When I go to the dentist, I either get a filling or absolutely nothing. Gooey swishy stuff doesn't figure in anywhere.. unless you count that evil pink stuff you rinse your mouth with between drills.

Victoria said...

Hrm, maybe it's a Canadian thing, because I don't know about any evil pink stuff. . .

Dominic said...

On the subject of "evil" and "flouride", have you ever seen what happens when you put hydrofluoric acid into glass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf4vq2UU9hk

Fluorine is the only element that can displace the oxygen in silicon dioxide.

Bit of pointless trivia there :)

Victoria said...

Woah

Ms Behaviour said...

Which is why, when you see fluoride content in bottled water, you know it came out of a tap. It's the only place we still put fluoride. It's highly reactive (fun if you're a science geek but scary if you're a lay person).

Victoria said...

Huh...

Random lurker from BC said...

BC doesn't put fluoride in the water. Many of the other provinces do though (Ontario and Manitoba for sure). Apparently the difference between those who drink water with fluoride and those who don't is quite obvious (a dentist will know immediately if you are from one of those provinces with fluoride). You should fine out if there are alternatives that you can use at home on a regular basis so you can keep your teeth enamel strong (I actually use a fluoride rinse twice a day because of weak enamel and because I too live in BC so I'm not getting the benefits of fluoridated water, sigh). I just wouldn't want you to experience an increase in teeth problems :)

Victoria said...

Thanks Random lurker! I'll see what I can do, because yeah, teeth problems are not fun :)