Friday 2 October 2009

Happy and Proud


I sometimes leave myself a note on a Post-it that is a reminder to blog about something, which is my way of explaining why today's post talks about something that happened nearly two months ago.

At the start of Symphony Splash this year (August 2nd, why?) the announcer comes on and says "Please rise for the singing of O Canada."

Now, I'm sure they do this every year, but this is the first year I've been there for the start. (I usually head down later.) So to see the thousands of people down in the inner harbour stand up and sing along to the national anthem was something awesome for me.

It was great to see, and really made me feel proud and happy and like a genuine member of a group of proud Canadians.

I don't know why I found it so cool, I just did.

We rock.

2 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

Strangely, I don't ever feel that with our national anthem, but I do with "Jerusalem", which is often sung by choirs in the schools around Oxford where I grew up.

Victoria said...

Awwww!
(Did I mention that I spent a year near Oxford while growing up?)