Monday 18 January 2010

Please

I didn't talk about it here last week, because it wasn't something I was able to write about, but I talked about it a little on flickr and now I'm going to talk about it just this once, here.

The earthquake in Haiti. It has hurt my heart and reminded me that I too live in an earthquake zone, and my life may also, all of a sudden change. Drastically. Any moment.

It's not the fear and disaster I want to talk about though, it's the help that is being sent, the hope that is there. There's this quote from Mr Rogers that I saw last week that's been a comfort to me:

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."
— Fred Rogers

And here's where I turn to you. You see, it's my birthday somewhere around here. And what I'd like you to do is give me a birthday present. Well, not me, exactly, but you'll see what I mean.

If you'd like to, I'd ask that you donate an amount of money equivalent to how old you think I am to one of the many relief organizations that are supporting Haiti at the moment. If you're Canadian, know that our government has pledged to match donations, so you'd be doubling your amount instantly. There are organizations aimed at supporting the children of Haiti through this, organizations devoted to sending clean water, organizations sending doctors, the list goes on.

I know you don't know my age, and right now I'd love to tell you I'm 100 years old if that would make you smile and encourage you to donate that amount.

If you can't donate money, then send your love. And love your people. Your family, friends, children, partners, co-workers. Love them. Hug them. And then go home and enjoy the comforts of your home.

We really are lucky.

Now's a time to spread and share our luck.

Final word? Thanks for being part of my life.
You all are awesome.
Stay happy, healthy and safe.

Love,
Victoria

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Victoria,
Good Morning! What a touching post. I have known I've needed to do something for the victims in Haiti...It has been all over the news here in the US. I was listening to the news in the car on the way to work and they were talking about the children. I love children. I hate to think of the suffering these people must be going through. It breaks my heart. You are so right we should all be aware of the loved ones around us and thankful for everything we DO have in life - including all the people - family, friends and co-workers - around us. I found the link to this organization after doing some research when I got to the office this morning. Its hard to know which groups are real and which are not but I feel confident this is legit.
While I do not know your age I figured $100 was the least I could do. Thank you for your inspiring heartfelt efforts.

See link I have attached:

http://www.forhisgloryoutreach.org/home

Your Co-Spy,
"James"

Victoria said...

Good for you James, awesome! :D

Likalia said...

Happy Birthday at some point here.

My office is making donations to ShelterBox, which I am proud to be helping with.

Also I received this link today from the website I bought my last purse at saying they are donating 100% of net proceeds from certain purses to the Canadian Red Cross. Which if you're in the market for a purse is an excellent way to help donate as well, since every dollar helps. Almost tempted to buy another purse myself.

Anyway, I hope your birthday wish is answered because it is a lovely one. :)

Ms Behaviour said...

Yappy birfday!

(Un)fortunately, I already donated on Friday afternoon. I was about to hit the donate button on my $20 donation to World Vision Canada when I got a mass email from my company president. He said that the Company was going to match employee donations so I doubled mine to $40. Voila, $120 to Haiti! I just hope they don't go the way of "Katrina" funds :(

Anyhoo, something tells me you are closer to 20 than to 40 and considerably closer to both of those ages than 120! However, donation made :)

Victoria said...

You guys are awesome :)

Thanks for the links Likalia

That's great Ms B! Super.

Anonymous said...

Victoria,
I sent another message to our secret spy spot.

"James"

the one in the back said...

Thanks for that. And will do =).

Victoria said...

Ok James, thanks.

Yay TOITB! :D

Yvonne said...

I am donating $50 but for the record, I think you are closer to 20!

I love that so many businesses and such are on board to help. You can even cash in airmiles to make a donation!
https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/ProductTicketingDetails?productId=prod1283903

Victoria said...

Well, yay! I'll be 50 for a day! ;)
And it is nice to see so many businesses being involved. :)

Yvonne said...

Or, let's just say I donated 2x what I think your age is! ;)

Not sure how many locals are on here but The Ocean is accepting donations to aid Haiti this Saturday the 23rd at Hillside Mall from noon to 4pm and here is a list of items they are accepting;

http://rogersradiointernet.com/BC/CIOC/images/2007/COMPASSIONATE%20RESOURCE%20WAREHOUSE.htm

Victoria said...

;)

Good to know, Y, I'll spread the word about that!