Monday 8 February 2010

Inside Thoughts

The world I live in inside my head is pretty darn hilarious most of the time. And many of my closest friends appreciate my slightly silly sense of humour.

I have to remind myself, however, that my "tee hee, that was funny" in my head doesn't always translate well out in the real world.

A good example of this?

I made a funny (to me) joke in the store the other day about some toasters I was looking at. I asked the guy who worked there if he "knew these toasters." He said no, so I started laughing (because it was already funny in my head) and said "so you don't know their names or anything?"* Because, you see, in my head I was thinking "you don't know their names" as in, Bob, or Steve or Marjory or something like each toaster was an individual person with names and home phone numbers and see how funny it is in my head?!

I could tell I shouldn't have said anything by the look I was getting from the guy. And then I realized that all the toasters had names printed on their boxes and that dude was thinking "why would I need to learn their brand names when you can just look on the box and see them?"

So, I have to remind myself that sometimes what's funny inside my head is *only* funny inside my head.

Ahem.



*See, even now I'm chuckling again at it even though I know most of you will be going "Huh?" Heh. Heh.

10 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

I have the same brain as you. Hmmm... that didn't come out right either.

I'm sat here smiling, for what it's worth :)

the one in the back said...

Getting lost in translation is always a great source of hilarity. It also means that you're hipper than the crowd. They just don't get It!

Chris said...

that's too funny. sometimes things that are funny to me arent funny to others or they think i'm crazy. haha. love your sense of humour Victoria...

Victoria said...

Jonathan, does that mean we're sharing one brain between the two of us? ;)


ToitB, it can be funny, or it can be awkward! :D But, yeah, maybe it does mean I'm extra hip! ;)

We can be funny and crazy too though, right Chris? :)

Maplemusketeer said...

Can you believe that I mirthfully go through my day often chuckling to myself in similar manner? It be true! :)

Victoria said...

I can believe it Jordan, yes :)

Jenn said...

I think you're funny, but I can see how living a life as a toaster sales guy could dampen your sense of humour!

Victoria said...

:) True

Yvonne said...

This post made my day!
(And I'm all too familiar with "those looks"! lol)

Victoria said...

Glad to hear it Y :)