Tuesday 16 February 2010

Now, The Apology Done, Applause Can Begin


This is a post that has been somehow stuck in my head for a while with no clear way out, and even now it's not making any more sense as I type it out.

This photo blows my mind, I absolutely love it, and I chose it because it somehow fits the mood of the thought stuck in my head. And the title I gave this photo is from one of my favourite Tragically Hip songs.

And the title for this post is from another.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, it's just true.

If I really felt it was worth it, I'd call up a guy I've hung out with a couple of times and I'd tell him that I never said no, I just didn't say yes.

And, no, I'm not talking about sleeping with him, that was never broached. He'd asked if I was interested in a relationship or if it was just a friendship situation.

I said I didn't know, that I wasn't sure yet, that it was too soon to say one way or another for sure.

And I can see how that would be taken as a polite "no." But I really meant it. I just wasn't sure. Am not sure.

I didn't say no, I just didn't say yes.

4 comments:

ray said...

Personally I see your "I don't know" as an invite to carry on and see what happens. If you need a yes/no answer to a question like that (and won't accept anything else) then you need to relax a little. "I don't know", to me, should be taken as "let's see what happens".

the one in the back said...

It's like seeing a car trying to make a left turn across a busy street...hesitation on the driver's part can aggravate traffic/cause accidents.

I hate to sound critical, but coming from one who has waited (and waited) for an answer and has been strung around, a solid answer (whether a yes or a no) would help greatly in terms of getting closure and prevent wasting each other's energy and efforts.
Patience is a virtue...but it can also give you an ulcer, you know?

Please forgive my bluntness. My response is in no way, shape or form meant to be mean-spirited. I'm just reacting (or overreacting) from my previous experience.

If it's absolutely too soon to tell with him (weeks to a few months), then please ignore my all-too-verbose rant and I'll gladly shove my foot in my mouth at your behest =)

astoldbyw*nter said...

Sometimes life throws you a curveball. You can either miss it or swing at it with all the force you have. Or you can wait for it to fall at your feet so you can watch it roll by and try again. This metaphor is going somewhere, I promise!

Okay. Fine. It's not.

But I tried. And you learned about curveballs, even.

Victoria said...

That was exactly what I meant Ray, let's see what happens!


ToitB, no apology necessary here, you're right, it's no fun waiting and not polite/kind to let someone wait if you know or think you know the answer. And I also know it's no fun being on either side of that situation.
But, yeah, it's absolutely too soon to tell with him. As in, we've hung out maybe four times. Total. But no foot in mouth needed, it's all good :)

Astoldbyw*nter, wait, I'm at bat right? ;)