Thursday 25 February 2010

On My Mind


Sometimes someone asks you something, or you read or watch or encounter something that sticks with you; that makes you think and think and makes you uncomfortable in a way that can only, ultimately, be good.

This is one of those things.

A co-worker of mine asked what I thought about the idea of being set up with one of his friends.

"He's a great, good looking guy" he said. And then he paused, "And I know how this sounds,and I wouldn't have brought him up if he wasn't such a great guy, but, well, he's in a wheelchair."

We talked about it, openly and frankly, my co-worker and I and I think he's not going to pursue it further, but it was one of those moments when I knew what my gut reaction was, but wasn't sure I liked it. And we sort of let it go without a definite answer either way.

I think if I met someone naturally, without being set up, who was in a wheelchair, and I was attracted to them I'd probably pursue it. I'd just never thought about it before and the whole thing's still on my mind.

I don't really know what to think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

go for it!

Victoria said...

:)

Narami said...

De-lurking to share this story:

One day I was waiting for food in a fast food place and after me a guy in a wheelchair was making his order. I was standing in an angle where he couldn't see me and I kept watching him because he was honestly one very handsome man. He handled himself very well and had this very rich but soft voice, he was wearing gym clothes. I moved a little and when he saw me look at him he smiled a beautiful smile and I smiled back, right then I thought that would be a guy that I would love to date.
I was so serious that I decided to sit with him if I could because just to have a nice conversation over lunch would be awesome. I say if I could mostly because I'm VERY shy so, that's how handsome and well mannered this guy was.

Thing is, as I went to find a place to sit with my eye on him, in comes his girlfriend, a cute and nice looking girl. She was also in workout clothes, the fast food was very close to a walking/running track I guessed they came from there.

I sat behind them and smiled the whole time; I couldn't see his chair from where I was and they looked like the most normal, happy couple ever.
I left thinking she was one lucky woman.

I don't have a point or anything, I just wanted to share that moment because it was such a delightful surprise.

Victoria said...

That's an awesome story! Thanks for de-lurking to share :)

Single and Picky said...

Thanks for your honesty, I am a close friend of a very lovely, smart, funny woman, who happens to be in a wheelchair. I won't speak for her, but I will say I so often wish some man would give her a chance and if he needed to ask the questions that your gut feeling relating. What happened? Does everything you know, work? Etc. She'd answer the questions.

I'd say give him a chance, maybe in a group setting, while it could be argued we don't need any more friends, we just want that someone, well who knows, he may have something to teach you about yourself. She has for me.

Victoria said...

Well said SnP. Well said :)