Friday 2 April 2010

Love/Hate

I have a love/dis-love (because it's not really "hate") relationship with flickr.

I love it for a ton of reasons: I get to share my pictures, I love having people comment on my pictures, I get an absolute thrill when someone makes one of my pictures a favourite of theirs, I get to see lots of beautiful pictures, I feel like I'm part of something bigger, I like having a collection of my photos out there, and it lets me have photos to put on this blog.

I have a hard time with it sometimes because when I look at all the amazing photos from other flickr members, I get really discouraged about mine.

So it's a double edged knife. . . I get super feedback about my photos that make me smile and blush, but I also see photos that make me feel really discouraged when I compare them to mine.

6 comments:

the one in the back said...

I used to feel that way about drawing/illustration, until I realized, my approach is different compared to others, and that there's always something new to learn from those that came before me. It's just more to grow, that's all...who knows, you might pick up a few tricks of the trade from these other photographers. Consider it as potential for an upgrade ;-) Hope that helps.

Victoria said...

You have some good points ToitB, and the idea of it being a potential for an upgrade made me laugh :)

Ms Behaviour said...

I also love/hate flickr because I want to post a ton of photos but don't want to pay for the PRO membership. Should I do it?

Victoria said...

Oh, yeah totally. I did a year or so (more?) ago and don't even notice the cost (whatever it was) go for it. Worth it.

Jonathan said...

For the last several months I have let my pro account at Flickr slip - and have wondered repeatedly about resurrecting it.

It's just one more thing that I'm a member of, and don't use properly most of the time...

Victoria said...

Hrm...something to certainly consider! :)