Friday 11 June 2010

Cooooooooooool!

Ages ago, my brother raved to me about these umbrellas he bought at the Vancouver Umbrella Shop.

I didn't think anything of it.

Well, that's not true, I kind of chuckled to myself, because, seriously? who raves about umbrellas.

They're. . . umbrellas.

But since I've been exercising more and therefore walking more and therefore walking in the rain more, I've been thinking a little bit more about umbrellas. Specifically, how it's not that much fun when your umbrella doesn't really brella.

See, a while ago I bought this adorable teeny tiny little fold up umbrella that's so cute and pretty you just want to hug it and kiss it and squee! over it.

But the last few times I've gone out and actually, you know, used it, it hasn't been. . . great.

Sure, it's cute, but it's also small. And small umbrellas don't actually keep the rain off of much of you. Plus the wind likes to show 'em who's boss.

So last time I was over at my brother's and he wanted to show me something in the backyard and it happened to be raining, I took one of his Umbrella Store umbrellas.

And not only did I stay dry, the thing was light and had a cool automatic spring loaded part and I actually told my brother that he was right and these were really good umbrellas. Go figure.

I went home and that happened to be the week the other week when it rained. All. Week. And it happened to be the week I went out for a walk and got rained on WHILE holding my teeeeeeeny tiny umbrella.

So I came back inside, dried off, and fired up the internet to see if you could order umbrellas on line from the Umbrella Store.

Turns out you can. So I did!

And do you know what showed up, I swear, two days later (even though that means they must have put my umbrellas in the mail the second I ordered them?) My awesome umbrellas!

So I'm now the proud owner of a cute little (but not actually little) folding umbrella and a big, real live, like I'm a grownup going for a stroll with my tall ladylike umbrella.

And, wouldn't you know it, I've turned into a person who raves about how awesome my umbrellas are.

So totally.

You need to buy yourself a real umbrella from the Umbrella Store in Vancouver people. They're awesome.

My brother and I both say so!

5 comments:

Dominic said...

I used to have a "Windbrella" that I rather liked. When you're 6'4" you need a big umbrella, but bigger tends to mean more wind-prone.

I wonder where it wound up...?

Anonymous said...

Spoken like a true Vancouverite.

Victoria said...

Oooh, Windbrella, something to look up! :)

True enough Anonymous ;)

Laura said...

You and your brother ain't kidding about the Umbrella Shop in Vancouver. All the other ones I've tried turn inside out in harsh wind and break after a short while. The Umbrella Shop ones actually hold up. I've had one for 2 years and still love it! The only thing I'd say is don't fold it up and put it away like that while it's wet, open it up and let it dry out after use. Otherwise the metal hinges rust a bit. I betcha mine rusts to death before it gives out in the weather!

Victoria said...

Laura, I promised myself never to put it away wet and to always let it air dry and yay! (I guess I'd only be folding it wet if I wasn't at home) So cool that you love them too! :)