Saturday 12 June 2010

From The News


What do you think kids these days are scared of? I mean, big picture scared of?

Like, I remember being scared of nuclear war when I was a kid. I don't remember why, anymore, it must have been in the news or talked about somewhere but I do, quite clearly, remember being afraid that we were going to blow ourselves up and weren't going to survive the nuclear war that was coming.

I imagine that if I were a kid nowadays I'd be afraid of looming environmental damage* but I don't know, maybe there's something else scarier to kids that's going on, like the idea of a zombie attack or maybe it's still nuclear war?

I don't know. Did you have a big-picture fear when you were a kid? Beyond clowns or spiders or the boogeyman or closet monster? What do you think kids are afraid of now?







*See, this is why I don't watch the news, it gets me all upset.

5 comments:

Dominic said...

..I was afraid of the dark.

But nothing else really worried me. I thought the grown-ups in charge knew what they were doing.

Amazing how naive kids are, huh? :)

ray said...

When I was a kid, nuclear war was all over the news - there were documentaries, news shows and dramatisations. Terrified the crap out of me. And then I got over it.

Kids now are terrified of not being "in" or being too fat. I think that my fears were healthier, somehow.

Victoria said...

Yeah, but it should be that way I think Dominic, kids should be naive :)

At least nuclear war isn't something you can change your personality/eating habits to fix.

Kas said...

I only remember being scared of the 'Boogeyman' in the closet and my older sister preyed on that fear cuz SHE was the one who couldn't sleep with the closet door open and she was too scared to close the door in the dark so she made me climb from the top bunk to do it.

Oh-- Also spiders (which carried thru to this day) cuz she used to throw them on me to 'watch the baby scream'... yep- I'm a little warped cuz of her!! LOL!

Victoria said...

Man, oh man, that does not sound like a nice big sister!!! ;)