Friday 25 June 2010

Frowny Face

I haven't watched the Bachelorette in years. Since Trista found lovely Ryan, in fact. So I guess I haven't watched it since its first season.

For whatever reason, I started watching this season (possibly because I read somewhere that there were a couple of Canadian guys) and I have come to a rather interesting conclusion.

Watching the Bachelorette makes me angry.

Not serious angry angry, but like a frustrated kind of "Argh!" sort of angry.

Not because of any of the people or the general silliness that is the show. Not because it's weird to see one person making out with a bunch of people, but because while I'm watching it, all I keep thinking is "that should be ME!"

*I* should have twenty five cute, nice, interesting guys picked out to date. And *I* should be sent on amazing dates all over the world doing really wonderful, fun, exciting things with these handsome, men who are all vying for my attention and affection and love!

I guess it's jealousy in a way, but it feels more like I'm having a tantrum of the "that's not fair and so I will stomp my feet and frown and pout" in the hopes I'll get what I want.

Harumph.

6 comments:

Charles said...

Vic: You deserve better than anyone who would degrade themselves and debase their entire species by putting their "romance" in the hands of a game show...

those people are slime.

I don't watch tv to avoid feelings like you are having right now... for instance: HGTV hurts me so bad.... i want to move into a fancy fancy house but i just can't... and yes... i am ANGRY.

chin up though... TV is not reality. It is not even close to being an accurate reflection of reality. It is merely a series of images designed specifically to make us feel the way i feel about the houses or the way you feel about the bachelorette dudes. Our recourse is only to turn off our tv's (or cancel our cable).

p.s. i don't have cable, but i see hgtv intermittently 'cause it's always on at my mother's house.

http://arealgoodblog.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

I don't have cable either, I get by just fine with the internets! But you're right, reality tv isn't real, true dat.

Dominic said...

You could go on dates with all your male readers - that would probably get you a fairly substantial amount of travelling and excitement ;)

Victoria said...

Perfect idea! Now, which tv company is going to foot the bill? ;)

Charles said...

I don't know that dating all your male readers is a good idea.... I don't know that we are all trustworthy... Also: my girlfriend would HATE it.....


It just sounds scary....

Http://arealgoodblog.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

Ahhh but that's what would make for good tv. And, when I came to your part of the world, you and your girlfriend just need to have picked me out someone to date intstead! ;)