Tuesday 1 June 2010

Intimidation Factor


I'm still very much there with "there" being in that place where things don't feel good and my insides feel raw and exposed although there's no-one here to show them to because I'm alone and possibly lonely and things are moving me to tears more than I'm used to but I actually suspect that's a good thing in the end. But even though I'm there, I still have stories to tell you my dears.

Like how just after I took this photo (or, at least I think it was after I took this photo because it happened in this vicinity and I haven't gone back to the area since because of it) I walked down an adjacent side street, my toque on because it's been strangely chilly and I like my head to be cozy, my ears especially because they burn when they get cold. And I don't know if it was because of the toque, but thank goodness I had it on anyway because as I walked under some of the same type of trees something smacked me on the back of my head.

And my brain was surprisingly quick to process it actually, although I can tell you exactly what went through my mind in the split second after the thing smacked me on the back of my head.

"Ouch."

"Something just hit me on the back of my head. It didn't hurt a lot, so it probably wasn't a ball, plus I didn't hear anything landing so it's not as if something hit me and then bounced off onto the ground but they what just hit me oh I bet it was a crow."

Because as these thoughts were going through my head in some kind of brain slow motion that was really only a point something of a second long I had turned around and there was a very angry crow sitting on a telephone wire staring at me and that's when my brain said "Oh, I bet it was a crow."

At which point my brain was very happy that I was wearing a hat of some kind because I didn't want to think of what it would have been like if it'd hit my hair and ewwww I'd probably have been weirded out by actual crow to head contact and maybe the toque softened the blow because while it didn't hurt exactly, it didn't not hurt either.

And I've heard of this happening to people before, but it's never happened to me. And I've walked under those trees before and never so much as seen a crow, but it is Spring after all and my understanding is that they do it to protect their nest.

Which at the time, didn't matter to me, because I turned around and said, at the top of my voice, to the crow, uncaring of whether or not there were people around, "HEY! Stop that, that's not nice!" and then when the crow looked like it was about to maybe consider jumping on my head again I waggled my folded up umbrella at it and it decided to leave me alone at which point I kind of realized the whole thing was a little bit weird and I'd better just go home.

So I got dive bombed by a crow you guys. The darn thing actually attacked me. As I was on the ground. Protective little buggers, aren't they?

4 comments:

Charles said...

a crow beaned you in the head?

that's a bad omen.... didn't that happen in the bible?

Victoria said...

It did.
But it can't be a bad omen.
Because I said so.
Probably happened in the bible but was an omen of great good fortune and um, something or other ness.

Stephanie Hunter said...

I have to tell this story. I was at a campground. Laying by the fire pit, in the middle of the afternoon resting. All of a sudden, I felt scratching on the back of my legs. I thought it was another camp counselor messing with me. I kinda kicked a leg. The scratching didn't stop. I turned and looked back over my shoulder and saw a SQUIRREL had jumped on my legs and was scratching me! I had to jump up and kick him off.
There were long scratch marks all down the back of my legs.
Weird.

Victoria said...

Nooooooo!

Best. Story. Ever! LOL!