Monday 21 June 2010

This Post Will Not Make Sense Or Matter To Most Of You

So, I really don't know how many of you are BCers here, but I know at least a couple of you are and so this one's for you.

The minimum you non-BC residents need to know is that our government decided to combine our two sales taxes GST and PST into one tax they lovingly named the Harmonized Sales Tax or HST. Anyhow, most of us have been pretty angry about this HST since it was announced and have been getting snarlier about it as the July 1st deadline approached.

So imagine my growliness when my phone bill arrived and they'd charged me all three taxes. They'd also charged me all three taxes next to a notice that stated that "Starting July 1st" I'd see the HST being added to my bill so watch out for those changes "starting July 1st"

Well, that didn't sit well with me, so I called them up and asked them to refund the HST as they were billing me mid-June and adding a tax that didn't come into effect for another three weeks.

There was a rather amusing moment when the fellow on the other end of the line realized just how much money I was calling them about.

"So, you want the 26 cents refunded?"

"Yup, that's right, I do."

For me, it wasn't so much about the amount, although I can buy a few five cent candies with that 26 cents don't you know, it was about how the company was choosing to handle what they must have known was a contentious issue with the public.

I've since found I'm not the only one who was angry about this and I just wanted the other BCers out there to watch their Telus (and apparently Shaw) bills closely this month. The argument as I understand it now is that since my bill stretches into July Telus is charging me GST and PST for June and then the HST for the two days in July. But still, it didn't feel right, it frustrated and angered me, so I let them know and they changed it for me.

Anyway, sorry for the rather random post, but now I've vented so thank you for listening and now we can all move on with our weeks and such. *clap clap* Nothing to see here people, let's go, enjoy your Mondays!

4 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

HST sucks donkey ass!

It's not so much that we have this new tax itself, its HOW the Gov't thrusted it upon us as just before the election they said they would do everything they could to give the lower and middle class tax breaks!

The part that still makes me furious and just proves that the Gov't think the working class are a bunch of idiots, was after it came forward the current gov't party said "they were not aware parliment was passing this" BULLSHIT!

They will continue to say what they think we want to hear to get our votes then go about their own agenda's anyways.

Wow, who knew your entry about the HST would get me so riled up before I've had my coffee.

Dominic said...

There are two certainties in life. And taxes are worse, because death only happens to you once.

In most cases.

On the plus side, it's easier to get a rebate on taxes..

Unknown said...

In Ontario, they are also implementing the HST on July 1 and have just mailed out their first transition "Bribe" cheques to voters. So definitely anger and frustration, but not as noticeable as you're seeing in BC.

Will be interesting to see if businesses actually reduce some of their own prices based on their HST savings.

Victoria said...

Sorry to get you riled before coffee Samiantha!!!

Death only happens once that we know of Dominic! ;) Heh

Ooooh, did not know that Brad. And, yes, it will be interesting to see if any businesses change things. . .