Monday 12 July 2010

As The World Watched


You know what kept on making me smile all through watching the World Cup final yesterday?

(No, it wasn't the cuteness of the players, although I was smiling at that too don't you know.)

It was the thought that all over the world, millions and millions, maybe even billions of people were doing the exact same thing as I was. At the exact same time. Seeing the same game. It was amazing.

I kept thinking of families huddled into small rooms; the game the highlight of their week or month. Entire cities in their town square holding their collective breath. I thought of neighbours or co-workers sitting in front of one tiny tv cheering and laughing or gasping at each foul, free-kick, yellow card, missed shot, saved shot, dive, tackle, just all of it.

To take a moment and really feel like a member of one massive human race, of the whole bunch of us all enjoying the same thing was a really cool thought.

I know not everyone enjoys sports and I know not everyone was following the world cup, but it's not about that. It's about how many of us were.

See you in four more years, world. I love having something to celebrate with you.

We're really not so different after all.

And that's really awesome.

Really.

7 comments:

Dominic said...

I enjoyed the fact that, yet again, the World Cup coincided with me driving home and gave me a lovely empty road.

And obviously, the psychic octopus was a bright spot, too..

Kas said...

So- who got the checkered flag?? LOL!

Victoria said...

Glad it worked out for you Dominic.

Oh Kas! ;)

Anonymous said...

Our family was huddled in our living room watching the game :) But we were smiling at the theatrics that comes along with the World Cup in regards to all the yellow cards haha My family and I were a little disappointed that it didn't result in penalty kicks. I think that's the most interesting part of the soccer game.

Victoria said...

Yeah, I was kind of hoping for penalty kicks too, would have been so dramatic! And, yes, the theatrics are fun too. OW! YOU KICKED ME REALLY HARD AND I'M IN SO MUCH PAIN, oh, free kick, awesome, thanks.

Yamuna said...

Haha @ your comment above.. Penalties are so exciting to watch, but so heartbreaking.. Usually it's the one player who misses, and he's going to be haunted by that for a long time I imagine.
Anyway, yeah it really is incredible, isn't it, when the entire world comes together for sport.. And see you in TWO years - Euro 2012 :)

Victoria said...

I know, but the heartbreak's what makes them so exciting! ;)

See you in two! :D