Tuesday 20 July 2010

I Know This One!

Hey, do you know what's really fun?

Playing Music Bingo at a local pub with a bunch of people you don't know except for the one friend from work you went with!

No, but seriously, the music bingo thing was hilarious and a ton of fun. I didn't know what to expect, and for some reason my brain got stuck on the idea that it was music trivia, not bingo, so I felt silly when they handed out the BINGO cards and daubers and I was all "Um, what do you do?"

Yes, that's right, I asked how to use a Bingo card. (Fortunately everyone had had a lot of drinks before we got there so I don't think they noticed. Whew)

But anyway, if you've never played music bingo before (like me!) it's totally fun. You get a card that has a musical theme to it (50s music, 60s and 70s, 90s, Classic Rock, etc.) and instead of numbers, the bingo squares have a song title and the artist that sung it. Then they bring out an announcer who does the whole Bingo calling part "Under the B ladies and gentlemen, this is under the B." And then a song clip comes on and you have to figure out what song it is and then see if you have it on your card.

And you have that feeling of *knowing* the song but maybe you just can't quite get to the name yet but OH, yep, there it is; "Jump Jump" by KrissKross and so you check your B line and then help your drunk neighbour check theirs and then you high five each other for being so smart and then the announcer comes back with "Under the O this time folks, under the O" and it starts all over again.

I never did find out what you won when you got two rows because our table never won. Oh, sure, we got close to winning, but never a win. Guess we'll just have to go back and give it another try one of these days.

But, yeah, if they do anything like this in a pub near you, totally try it out. It's fun! (And if you're not great with music, bring along a friend with an iPhone and that amazing Shazam app that blows my mind. Unless you think that's cheating. In which case, just bring along your music savvy friends!)

6 comments:

Katie said...

Just discovered Shazam, and love it!

And hello from the US :)

http://thesinglemanparty.wordpress.com/

Victoria said...

Hello back to the US! ;)

I can not even begin to figure out how smart you must be to invent something as amazing as Shazam!

Jonathan Beckett said...

We used to do the local pub quiz, and they always had a music round - but only played a few seconds of each track :)

Victoria said...

That's what I was expecting, because I'd done pub quizzes before. They're fun too but I don't know if we have a pub in town that does that anymore.

Sara Elizabeth said...

I have Shazam on my iPhone and it is amazing! Music Bingo sounds like so much fun!

Victoria said...

It is! :)