Thursday 9 September 2010

Underwhelmed


So Cary emailed me.

Yesterday.

I'm not supposed to check my personal email at work, but of course I did, and I was excited to see he'd finally responded.

Until I opened the email.

Hi!
It was nice to meet you! I'll let you know next time I'm in town and we can hang out.
Take care,
Cary

I was completely underwhelmed.

That was it? That was all he had to say?

Once I got over the surprise and, frankly shock of the response, all I felt was sad.

Sad that it wasn't going to be anything. Sad that I'd hoped for something great and it wasn't. Sad that I'd wanted something to develop and he didn't. Sad that I wasn't going to be starting a relationship, long distance or not.

Sad, sad, sad, sad, sad.

It's hard to cry at work. Spies aren't supposed to show weakness, and I had nowhere to go, but I couldn't stop the tears and it was a hard day, I was so hurt and disappointed.

Let down.

I sent him a short email back and tried to distract myself.

Unfortunately, things didn't get better from there.

11 comments:

whydidn'tshefancyme said...

Ooh I was excited when I saw the first line, but now I am just sad & disappointed for you.

Try to keep your chin up.

Kas said...

It will be OK. Little steps... maybe when he's in town, you'll goout for a drink and the next time you'll spend the day and the next time....

He could be feeling the same way-- hang on for a sec to see...

It'll be ok!

~Kas

Single and Picky said...

*HUGS* big squishy ones if need be, I've said it before and I will say it again, that while I may not know you, I like to think that your blog content is a reflection of your essence as a person, and what I see in that is a pretty special person.

So chin up, you are fabulous and I will say it over and over until you fully embrace it. I know the single road can be the pits and all the emotions that can go up also can go down. But look on the bright side, in this moment of ickiness, you can have a cupcake, a wonderful glutenful cupcake!!

Dominic said...

Well, if he's not interested, at least he's had the decency to make it clear rather than stringing you along.. Not that that makes it any easier, I know.

Have a big helping of ice cream with that cupcake. And remember my recipe for melting a mars bar to make a hot chocolate sauce for it ;)

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry that he sent you such a casual email. It seemed like ya'll at least made some kind of connection. Don't feel bad for crying at work. Sometimes you just need to have a good cry. I know that you're going to meet a great guy one of these days.

Victoria said...

Yeah, it was a bummer, WhyDidn't :(

Thanks Kas


Thanks SnP. I'll take the hug, squishy one please. And thank you for your kind words. (And for the cupcake suggestion)


Is that a guy's version of making it clear Dominic? Because I think there are a lot of girls (myself a few years ago included) who'd still not see that as a brushoff. Thanks for the melted mars bar reminder, I'd forgotten ;)


Thanks Jennifer, I had thought we'd had a connection too, so it's upsetting. Thanks.

Yamuna said...

This might be just to console you, or it could be true, but maybe Cary isn't an email person. But in any case, I get how disappointed you must feel. I'm from India, but I've come to Denver to study. Things are incredible here, but it's so hard to meet a guy you connect with! Needless to say, you'll be hearing from me quite often about my quest for the 'perfect man' :P - here's hoping we have good news to share with each other soon!

Victoria said...

That could be true Yamuna. I'm glad you're liking Denver, and yes, I hope we both soon have good news to share! :)

DEC said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. Anyway, at least the waiting is over.

Have some icecream, some wine but don't let yourself suffer for too long, ok? Promise?

Bisous
Anne
http://datingoneverycontinent.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I cried at work yesterday too!!

Victoria said...

You're right Anne, at least the waiting is over.

Hugs to you Anonymous. It's no fun!