Monday 27 September 2010

Well, That Happened

My friend (the one who got married this summer) threw a party this weekend.

I couldn't go, but I emailed her on Sunday to ask how it went.

"It was good," she said. "And someone was asking for you."

I was genuinely confused as to who it would be, but figured it was someone I'd met at the wedding, maybe the guy I'd talked to for a bit while I ate my dessert. (Mmmmm dessert.)

Turns out Cary had blown into town for the celebration and both he and my friend's husband were wondering why I wasn't there.

My friend said it must be nice for me to know he was thinking of me, and I guess it should be, but it was more of a shrug and an eye roll to be quite honest.

Human beings are complicated. Human beings of the opposite gender are even more complicated.

Cary? Is, like, triple quadruple complicated.

Not that it matters. I don't expect to ever see him or hear from him again, and had I been able to go to the party and had known he was coming I might have not shown up anyway, I certainly wouldn't have been comfortable around him.

So there you go. I'm guessing that's the final final chapter in the Cary story.

Be sure I'll let you know if it's not though.

5 comments:

Canadianbloggergirl said...

Please do keep us posted.

Probably better you didn't go, since the wound is still fresh!

CBG
canadianbloggergil.blogspot.com

Kitty Moore said...

Just make sure you do!

Victoria said...

Oh I promise to keep you posted ladies!

But, CBG, yeah, it's probably best I didn't go :)

Jonathan said...

So in the midst of the indifference, who is the person who you see the back of in crowds when it's not them?

Everybody has one.

Mine is a girl I was inseperable with years ago (but bizarrely, we never "happened")

Victoria said...

Hmmm, I think I'll have to think about that one Jonathan. Probably just my first boyfriend just because I wonder where he is and what he's doing and how he is.