Friday 15 October 2010

Food


I don't like eating. I don't even know if I really like food. But I know I don't like eating food.

I didn't realize this until I was in a nutritionist's office a few months ago and when I was describing what I normally eat she asked me what my favourite meals were. I didn't have an answer for her even though I can name a few foods I like. She put her pen down and looked at me thoughtfully. "Do you even like to eat?" she asked. And I had to think about it for a moment, but when I did, I was genuinely surprised to discover that the answer was no.

I know people who love to sit down to a meal every day and people who absolutely adore cooking and creating delicious things to make. I don't.

This recent celiac/gluten no gluten thing really had me struggling with food for a year or so, and the stomach pains I was going through before that really made eating more of a chore than anything else. Which, I suppose, is understandable when you're either restricted in what you can eat and nervous that you might accidentally ingest something that would kill you or are doubled over in pain every time you eat.

Add the pain, discomfort and worry to the fact that I never learned how to cook, and until recently never needed to (either living with my parents or a boyfriend who'd cook for us) and the fact that once I come home from work the last thing I want to do is figure out how to whip up a meal that won't make a mess of my tiny (and I do mean tiny: stretch out your arms, and that's more counter space than I have) kitchen or set off my smoke alarm and it's no wonder my freezer's full of microwaveable meals.

I do eat, mind you. But I will take something easy over something that needs to be made any day. So there are days, especially on weekends, where I'll go the entire day without eating a meal. I'll graze, snacking all day long until the day's over and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out if I actually ate any protein at all today, or, you know, anything other than what was tastiest and most easily grabbed.

I have good intentions and will print out recipes and buy all the ingredients and bring them all home and put them away but more often than not, the ingredients sit there unused until they go bad.

I'm lazy. I don't enjoy it. The process of cooking. And since I'm not one to enjoy the eating of the meals either, it all seems pointless.

I've put on some weight recently (not that anyone but my scale and my clothes and I have noticed) and I know it's down to the fact that once they told me I could try eating gluten after a year off, I went a little crazy. And while 10 pounds are hard to lose, they're as easy as pie to put on. Literally.

So now I'm trying to get control of how I eat. (The part where I grab whatever chocolates, sweets, ice cream or candy I can get my hands on whenever I'm upset or hurt or emotional or just want to is one I've been struggling with for a while.) I'm trying to really improve what I eat. (Going on iron supplements last year has helped my mood and energy enormously, but I also know how much better I feel and strangely enough, how much better I sleep when I've had protein. I also know that I should probably eat vegetables. Or, in the summer, I should probably eat more than just fruit.) And I'm trying to get to a place where I can a) enjoy cooking b) become quite good at it and c) enjoy eating what I cook.

It's all a big jumble though. The things I like to eat (taste wise) tend not to be the healthiest. But when I'm down or stressed or hurting or anything, they're my go-to fix and that's a huge issue. I'm lazy and don't like to or know how to cook. That's a big problem. I don't enjoy eating, don't look forward to the process of sitting down for a meal, so there's no motivation to learn to cook, overcome my laziness, or make better choices in how I deal with my emotions. It's all a jumbled contorted, confused pile of yuck and I don't know how to get to a place where it all smooths out and works.

Who ever thought such a necessary thing could be such a pain?

5 comments:

Claus said...

Food, glorious food!
We're anxious to try it.
Three banquets a day --
Our favourite diet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQDllvuy1I

I Love food. There is no way to describe the feeling that courses through my veins when I take a bite of a perfectly done, grilled steak. The taste and smells of freshly ground cardamom in a made to order crepe that still has that little crispiness from having a little butter in the pan. The juices of a ripe mango freshly plucked from the tree as they dance and sing on your tastebuds and the remainder of the juice dribbles down your chin.

Pulled pork done slowly (8hrs) in a low heat, smoky environment so that the edges of the meat is red from the smoke. Served with crispy homemade slaw, not sweet but tangy to counter the slightly hot and sweet flavours from the barbeque sauce you whipped up the day before with freshly ground ancho peppers and red wine.

I can go on but I'm in danger of being a bit "too" excited.... :)

My wife shares my passion for food if not my passion for making it. No I'm not 350lbs although, by all rights, I should be.

I love the challenge of cooking. Cooking for friends who are vegetarians or gluten intolerant or
even vegans. It's not easy making that food taste good but the challenge is there and it can be done. It takes work but the labour of love comes in the flavours. The amount of work is sometimes minimal and other times herculean. All worth it, to me that is. Sometimes it's as simple as using olive oil with a splash of sesame oil to add flavour when removing butter and other times it requires a spice rack of combinatorial tastes to get it just right.

TL;DR; Give it a shot to cook one hard meal and taste the fruits of your labour. You may be surprised.

Victoria said...

Now I'll be singing that song all day Claus! :)

Elle said...

I've been gf for 3.5 months now and I have to say, I definitely enjoy eating more now that it doesn't hurt to eat. yay!!! But I still don't necessarily enjoy cooking, I prefer it when I'm making something I know and love for more than one person, it just feels pointless for one person sometimes. Maybe you're the same way? Definitely a partner who loves to cook should be a priority for you though, lol. If I find any, I'll send them your way.

Victoria said...

Yep, send all loves-to-cook awesome single men my way! ;)

Starkey said...

"Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity." -Voltaire

http://hellavella.blogspot.com/2009/02/brekkie.html

(Ae commiserates.)

-Simon