Tuesday 14 December 2010

Sploosh

It's been quite rainy around here lately.

Some might say it's been very rainy around here, but it's all relative really.

Ok, maybe it's been very rainy, but there have been breaks and pauses so it doesn't exactly feel like it.

I had to sleep with earplugs in last night, the rain was that noisy. I suppose I could have closed my window too, but then things get stuffy and warm and man I'm a picky sleeper sometimes.

I still got woken up though, even with the earplugs. Something about someone's toque Damn IT! And then a cat/racoon/devil fight that didn't last long but had me wide awake, heart racing.

Not that that has anything to do with the rain, but you'll allow me a few tangents this week won't you. . .

Last week, it got so dark at 3 or 3:30 a couple of days that streetlights were going on. I guess earlier evenings combined with massive, heavy rainclouds meant dark enough for streetlights.

I also ran in some torrential rain last week. Hadn't been out in a few days, half lazy, half busy, half too dark and alone, half unable to do accurate math.

Had been for a walk earlier and enjoyed the fresh air so laced up my shoes and took off.

Knew I'd get wet, didn't realize I'd get soaked.

Discovered puddles the depth of lakes, laughed as my feet turned into small lakes inside my shoes.

Decided to call it a short run and came home literally dripping.

I think my underwear were still dry, but that's about it. I soaked through layers of clothing and gear and was terribly amused by the whole thing.

We had flooded roads this weekend and when you're driving, you get to know the spots that will throw up water and where the dips in the road are and you try your best not to spray the vehicle next to you but sometimes you giggle when the busses accidentally drench a car when they pass through one of the dips.

So we've had some rain.

Welcome to the coast.

8 comments:

Single and Picky said...

I was going to complain about the rain but I thought it might have been just me, it has been a little insane as of late.

I like those rainy runs, to a point, doing that over 2+ hours, not so fun. Though if Santa is nice to me this year I'll get a waterproof breathable rain jacket - first of it's kind (that I've found - and I've been searching).

PS Praying for your family *HUGS*

Anonymous said...

Don't want to get pedantic but you do live in a Temperate Rainforest. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperate_rainforest#Pacific_temperate_rain_forests_of_western_North_America

and echoing Single and Picky above. Take care of yourself and your family. Carhart has waterproof breathable jackets.

Just Sayin... said...

Meh, it's a little rain. lol
OK who am I kidding, I had to check my exhaust vent in the kitchen cos it rained so hard on/off this past week, I could have sworn it was coming inside my apt via the vent.

TL said...

I live on the opposite coast, and we are getting a great deal of rain as well! The price we pay for living so close to the ocean! (I've also been thinking about you & your family. Take care of yourself!)

Single and Picky said...

Anonymous: It needs to be designed for running. Apparently Craft is the only one to create such a product both breathable and waterproof. I've been on a long search - running gear is designed to be first and foremost breathable, and water resistance is secondary - if you want waterproof you end up getting wetter from the sweat. Gave up trying to explain to every sports place (from running shops to MEC etc) I went into that after two hours in the rain I need to be dry or pneumonia will chasing after me. Then again with this rain I might just have to worry more about floating away down the street

Victoria said...

Yeah, it's been super heavy rain of late SnP. Hope Santa is good to you!(And, thanks)


Oh,Anonymous, I SO know we do! And thanks, we're all hanging in there.

JS, it's been hilariously wet! Like, I can't remember the last time it rained so hard it woke me up! I can imagine it coming through vents :)

I don't mind the extra rain for the ocean trade-off TL! (And thanks)

Tara said...

We were getting a lot of rain earlier this week, that slowly turned into sleet, that became snow this morning. The snow didn't stick around, which is good, because I definitely was not welcoming it.

Victoria said...

We had a half hour's worth of rain/sleet/snow/back to rain this morning. It was very amusing! :)